52

On new year's day, Jungkook woke up early. He took Mother Manoban's words to heart and slept early last night. A soft morning kiss fell on the still sleeping Lisa's face, then Jungkook got up and change his clothes.

"Mr. Jeon, happy new year." A maid saw Jungkook taking a walk in the yard and greeted him with a smile.

"Happy new year." In a good mood, Jungkook replied with a small nod.

Although Mother Manoban told Jungkook to get up early, she herself only managed to wake up half an hour before breakfast.

When Jungkook finished his walk and entered the house, he saw Mother and Father Manoban sitting in the living room. With a chuckle, Mother Manoban said: "I heard you got up quite early today."

"Getting up early during the first day of the new year is good luck." Jungkook smiled back.

Mother Manoban felt at ease after hearing Jungkook's words. Happy and a little bit worried, she asked: "You've just been discharged from the hospital, and you stayed up late last night. Waking up so early, aren't you tired?"

"I'm not tired. And the air this morning was very refreshing." Jungkook replied.

"Good, good." Mother Manoban uttered the word several times in delight. She then took out a big red envelope from her pocket and handed it to Jungkook. "Here, your new year's envelope."

Jungkook blinked, unsure show to react.

"Take it." Seeing Jungkook's lack of movement, Mother Manoban couldn't help but press it towards him.

"Uh...thank you, mom." Jungkook accepted the envelope in a daze.

Mother Manoban nodded, her right hand quietly poking Father Manoban beside her. Father Manoban coughed, then awkwardly handed Jungkook another red envelope. "This is from me."

"Thank you, dad." Jungkook was once again surprised. But since he had already experienced this shock just moments before, he managed to recover more quickly. Jungkook accepted the envelope, saying his thanks once more.

He didn't know what else to do. What was the etiquette for this?

Should he say a few auspicious words?

Or even maybe give a red envelope of his own?

President Jeon, who had never received a red envelope before, was feeling deeply entangled.

"What are you doing?" At this moment, Lisa came down the stairs. She was wearing a bright red sweater, making Jungkook think that she looked entirely like a red envelope herself.

Lisa saw the two thick envelopes Jungkook was holding and asked: "From my parents?"

"Un." Jungkook foolishly nodded.

"And mine?" At Jungkook's nod, Lisa immediately asked for a red envelope from her parents.

"How old are you, ah? Still asking for red envelopes." Mother Manoban laughed and slapped Lisa's outstretched hand.

"How come he gets to have them?" Lisa grumbled, pretending to be jealous.

"This is the first time Jungkook is celebrating the new year in our home. Of course we have to give him some red envelopes. It's called an 'entering the family' envelope." Mother Manoban explained.

After Jungkook saw that Lisa wanted a red envelope, he had first intended to directly hand his two envelopes to Lisa.

However, after Mother Manoban's explanation, Jungkook quietly retracted the hand he had half-way outstretched and silently hit his red envelopes in his pocket.