Part 18

"Woah woah, what do you mean, Sky?? Ruby couldn't, she wouldn't!"

Skyler didn't respond, instead she bent down and started picking up the fallen rose petals, blinking back tears.

Violet dug around in her backpack, finding her travel tissues and offering them to Skyler.

"She's probably at the lunch table already, Sky; let's just grab our stuff and start heading-"

Violet was cut off by the sound of heels clicking down the hall. The four girls turned to see Bella running towards them, Jade, running as well, trailing behind.

"There you guys are! We've been waiting for you- wait, wait, where's Ruby?"

Bella questioned, eyes looking around for her lost roommate.

Jade arrived a few seconds after Bella asked about Ruby, and she popped a question herself.

"What did you do, Skyler??"

"Me? I don't-"

"What did she do? Way to point fingers, Jade. Skyler hasn't done-"

"Oh, really?"

Bella interrupted,

"Then it just so happens to be a coincidence that Ruby's been losing it all weekend, because of Skyler, and she was fine this morning when she was with us, but when she actually sees her in person, she's gone??"

Bella finished with a scowl that was reciprocated by Jade, both girls' dismay aimed in Skyler's direction.

"Skyler hasn't even seen Ruby today! None of us saw her at break and clearly we haven't seen her all of lunch."

"Then why isn't she here? What did you say to her, Sky? Or, is it more like what you didn't say?"

Jade questioned, prompting Skyler to finally speak up.

"I-I haven't seen Ruby all day, but I've been trying to! I tried to see her before class but you three had already left. I thought I might catch her before fourth period but I didn't see her then either. I clearly haven't seen her now, so I haven't seen her all day!"

Bella and Jade started to cool down, knowing Skyler was telling the truth as the trio behind her nodded in approval of her explanation.

"So, you really haven't seen her? At all?"

"Nope."

"And you obviously haven't talked to her either?"

"No, I haven't."

Jade and Bella looked at each other and each let out whatever breath they had been holding in their hostility.

"Alright, okay, we're sorry Sky, we're just really worried."

"You two just seem to be going through some...issues...that we never did; we're worried about Ruby since this was really eating at her, and usually we know where she is, but this time, she didn't even tell us."

Poppy, Sunny, Violet, and even Skyler understood Jade and Bella's concern; they had similar ones themselves, but it's different with them. Those three have been almost inseparable since day one. Whatever mischief one of them was in, the others tended to get willingly roped into it. They were their own close trio, mirroring the bond between Poppy, Sunny, Violet, and Skyler as their sub-group; Skyler didn't blame the two for being upset.

"Long story short,"

Poppy began,

" we think Ruby found the flowers and movie tickets Skyler bought for her, but she mistook them for being a gesture from Colin because they were in Skyler's locker, which he walked by, which was conveniently unlocked, and-"

"And I made a mistake."

Skyler's interruption took the girls off guard.

"I told you, I told you all,"

Skyler began, gesturing to Poppy, Sunny, and Violet.

"that this had to be perfect if it was going to work! I told you again and again, but you all said that it was fine but it wasn't! Even if I hadn't left my locker open, if I had just made sure that the writing on the ticket was perfect"

Skyler handed the ticket to Jade, who held it out for herself and Bella to examine.

"then Ruby wouldn't have been confused or mad or hurt or..o-or"

Jade handed the movie ticket back to Skyler, who started to slowly, unconsciously, crumple it in her grasp, the flowers in her arms dropping more petals as she did so.

Bella reached her hand out to Skyler's left shoulder and started to reassure her.

"It's not all your fault, Skyler; Ruby is just the kind of person to jump to conclusions sometimes...without thinking about it rationally. In that way, her and I are one in the same."

The fond look in Bella's eyes was a comfort to Skyler, in addition to her words.

"But, she's also not nearly as stubborn as I am,"

Jade went on,

"once you lay it out for her, she'll definitely be willing to listen to what you're saying."

Jade and Bella's reassurance gave Skyler the confidence boost she needed.

She would find Ruby. She would explain things. And she definitely would go through with asking her out.

"Lunch is already halfway over, and I don't think she has her phone on her; would you guys be willing to help me find her?"

The group agreed in unison, Skyler shutting, and making sure to lock the locker door in response, bouquet cradled in her right arm and tickets clutched in her left hand.