17

wooyoung woke up in the middle of the night after falling asleep in his bed earlier. he blinked a few times and sat up, a yawn following.

"are you feeling better?" he almost jumped, snapping his head at the direction of his roommate. san was sitting on his own bed, his laptop in front of him. he looked tired, so wooyoung wondered why he was still awake at this time. "why aren't you sleeping?"

"i still have some work to do for tomorrow, and i didn't feel like sleeping." he said, without looking up from the screen, making wooyoung sigh. "one sleep deprived is enough, you need to rest."

"don't act like you care, we're not friends or anything. i'm fine." he finally looked at the younger, and wooyoung could see the tiredness and worry in his roommate's eyes. there were unsaid things and unasked questions, which he could sense.

are you alright? why are you worrying for me when you're not okay? let me take care of you.

wooyoung gave in to those dark eyes. maybe it was because of the night atmosphere or his unclear mind, but he couldn't fight back his needs and desires. "okay. let's be friends." he would probably regret these words later, but there was no turning back now.

san froze in front of the screen of his laptop, a few seconds passing before he turned his wide eyes to wooyoung. "a-are you serious?" he put his legs down to reach the floor, his eyes staring right at the younger.

"no, dumbass, you're dreaming. yes, i'm-" wooyoung couldn't even finish his words before he was engulfed in a crushing hug from his roommate. "what are you doing?"

"i'm hugging you? my friend? it's called showing affection. you should try it." the younger let out a chuckle as san pulled away, smiling. "you've been around me too much. you've become fluent in sarcasm." i hope you don't get burned.

"what do you mean? that's my specialty. you just didn't give me a chance to show you my abilities." san chuckled too, making wooyoung hit his shoulder playfully. "thank you." the older said, smiling fondly.

"for what?" his roommate looked at him, confused. "for being my friend." wooyoung felt all warm inside after hearing this, he was sincerely happy for once. "just know that i warned you."

"yes, yes. i am aware of the dangers of this friendship, mister jackass." they both laughed, san having the biggest smile on his face. the two talked the rest of the night away, forgetting about time. wooyoung opened up to san and told him some more about himself, the older listening as if he was a child being told a fairytale.

"i'm sorry, i kept you awake. you have morning classes today." wooyoung frowned as he saw the sun rising outside, making san chuckle. "it's okay. it won't be my first time walking around like a zombie."

wooyoung laughed and nodded. "but you should get some more sleep. it's still early." san stood up, making space for his roommate to lay comfortably. "i'm sorry." he heard a small voice and turned back around to face the younger.

"for everything. i just want you to be happy." san saw his frown as he suddenly got sentimental and grabbed his pillow, throwing it at him. "what was that for?!" wooyoung looked at him with wide eyes and then threw the pillow back at san. the older just smiled at him and went in the bathroom to wash up.

"choi san. what have you done to me?" the boy put a hand on his heart and grabbed his shirt, trying to calm down.

***

"really?" yeosang exclaimed happily. wooyoung nodded and gave him a thumbs up, the blonde jumping on him to hug him. the two were in yeosang's room and wooyoung had just told his friend about him and san being friends now.

"then are you going to-"

"not now, yeo. i want to, but i hurt you all too much. the others will probably need time to warm up to me again." a frown appeared on wooyoung's face. now that he started to open up to people again, he wanted to go back to his friends. only, he was afraid they didn't want him anymore after him being a total jerk and ditching them.

"woo, they still love you. we still love you. whenever you're ready, we'll be here for you." yeosang smiled reassuringly, and wooyoung smiled back, nodding. "now, when are you going to tell san about your feelings?"

"yeosang!" the younger threw a pillow at his friend, the other laughing at wooyoung's rosy cheeks.

***

"san, i like you." the raven haired stopped drinking from his juice box, averting his gaze to his friend. "why are you so surprised? i was pretty obvious." seonghwa chuckled as he watched san's mouth open and close.

"i don't know what to say. i-"

"like wooyoung? i know." san was even more shocked now. his eyes widened, and he started looking around, checking if someone heard them. it was lunch time, and they were in the dorm cafeteria, so it was packed. "san, calm down. he's not here."

"no, i- i don't care. but you-" san's thoughts were all over the place, and he didn't know where to start with explaining them. "i know you like him and not me, and it's okay." seonghwa looked so calm in comparison with san, who was a ball of nervousness.

"i'm sorry, hwa." this was all he could say as he knew this was the most sincere answer he could give. "it's not your fault, san. but, can i ask you something?" the raven haired looked at his friend with curious eyes and nodded.

"will you go on a date with me?" seonghwa smiled from his place in front of san, the younger's eyes widening again. "consider it a hang out if it sounds better."

"no! i mean, one date is okay." san hurried to say in panic, seonghwa chuckling at the sight.

***

will you go on a date with me?

wooyoung was repeating those words in his head for a few minutes now. he chose a wonderful moment to go for food. did seonghwa like san? there's no doubt. but did san like seonghwa? if so, wooyoung's dearest dreams would be crushed. good job, idiot. you pushed him away for so long, do you think he would like you?

tears threatened to fall from wooyoung's eyes as he was walking out of the dormitory. san's tutoring would have to wait, because wooyoung wouldn't be able to think straight for even a minute while in his roommate's presence.

was he overreacting? probably. but there was no one else to blame for his situation except for wooyoung himself.