Chapter 1: The Party

I woke up that morning with uncontrollable excitement bubbling in my stomach. I got out of bed and hopped into the bathroom and since I showered the night before, I only had to take care of daily necessities.

After I stepped out, I got dressed in a loose gray t-shirt and some black skinny jeans. As I was putting on some light makeup, the doorbell rang and I walked barefoot over to the front of my apartment, swinging the door open with an eager smile.

"Did you get it?" I asked.

"What, no hello? I see where I stand Carter. You're gonna have to be polite if you want me to cooperate."

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, stop being such a diva and hand over my dress." I said, as I yanked the material from my best friend's hand.

"I see you loose all your manners when your giddy Carter, but I'll forgive you since it's your big day."

"Penny, you make it sound like I'm getting married."

"Won't be long til that day either. Pretty soon I'll be your second priority and'll be forced to pet my cats all by myself." She said with a theatrical sigh.

"You don't even have cats." I said with a straight face.

"Never too late to adopt one...or twenty."

Setting my dress on my couch, I sat down on the breakfast bar as Penny followed suit.

"If we're being realistic here, I'm sure you're gonna get married first. I mean c'mon, look at you!" I said.

Penny had gorgeous long blonde hair and fair skin that made her look so pure and innocent, yet her personality was a different story. She had pretty blue eyes that could kill you with one look and a slim body.

"Don't even pretend like you don't know your pretty, Carter. I've seen the way guys look at you."

It's not that I didn't think I was pretty, but I didn't see myself as "gorgeous" either. I had chestnut brown hair that fell just at my waist (although I've been wanting to go short for a while) and brown eyes.

"Whatever, I have to get ready for work."

Penelope, or Penny, worked at the same office as I did. So she usually came over to my place and we would have breakfast together and then head off to work.

"What, you're not ready? I'd say that outfit looks mighty professional to me."

I rolled my eyes as I grabbed my leather jacket and put on some white converse.

Today was a very important day for my career and I refused to let anything ruin it, not even Penny's overused sarcasm. I'm an editor, and a couple months ago, Rob came in with 'exciting news', he had told me.

"What is it?" I asked

"We have a new client, and they're very important, so I'm trusting you to handle their files."

He handed me a grey file with my name sloppily scribbled in black ink. Opening it up, I began scanning its contents to give me a rundown of the new customer I would be dealing with. On the top of the first page was written 5 Seconds of Summer and all their details were listed below.

I looked up at Rob and looked down again at the file, not sure if I could trust my eyes. If this was reality, then that meant that we were publishing a celebrity's book, which was uncharted territory for us, but I guess that wasn't stopping Robert.

"What exactly are they writing about?" I asked, semi-confused. I knew that most celebrities eventually end up writing some sort of book, I just wasn't aware of what their books consisted of exactly.