Chapter 8

The next morning, I woke up at 8:00 AM on the dot. My trick was putting my alarm clock half way across the room, out of arms reach.

This way, when it would turn on, I'd have to physically get up and turn it off.

That's how I survived during high school mornings and that's what I'm using now. I refrained from waking Penny up just yet, knowing full well she didn't get enough sleep last night 'cause of all the tossing and turning she was doing. I think it was driving me more crazy than it was her.

Climbing out of bed, I shivered as my feet made contact with the cold hardware floors, and walked into the bathroom as quietly as I could manage.

I don't know why I bothered, Penny was a pretty heavy sleeper (apart from the occasional conversations in her sleep). She would always wake up after the alarm was ringing for 5 minutes straight.

I took the quickest shower I had in my entire existence, a whopping 4 minutes, and then proceeded to pick out my clothes. I was only going to the airport, so I decided on some casual black jeans with a rose printed white sweater.

Shaking my hair from my towel, I combed it and let it air dry as I walked into the kitchen. The rest of my morning was pretty bland, until the clock read 9:00 A.M.

Deciding now was a good time to awaken Sleeping Beauty, I tugged the blanket off of Penny, causing her to shiver and curl up on the mattress. Her eyes were still closed and half of her face was covered by her hair.

"Wake up, Pen. I let you sleep in the latest, but you have to get up now."

She responded with a groan, trying to pry the blanket from my hand.

"What time is it?" You could hear her unwillingness to face the morning in her voice, though I didn't blame her.

"9, now get your ass up." I walked across the room and opened the curtains, letting the sunlight pour into the room and directly across Penny's face.

She hissed as I rolled my eyes, "I don't have time for your routinely morning drama."

"Why? 'Cause I'm your ride?" She sat up on the bed and ran her hands through her blonde hair.

"No, because I love you." I said with a straight face.

"Wow, your harsh."Penny feigned hurt but eventually got up, finally.

-

"Penny!"

"What?!"

"If you don't step on it, I'm gonna be late!" I exclaimed, clutching onto the seat's arm rests.

"I am not about to break the law and speed." She huffed, stubbornly.

"I'm not asking you to break the law, you can go five over."

"Why the hell didn't you just go with the rest of the group?"

"Sorry for wanting to spend some time and say a proper goodbye to my best-friend."

"Yeah, yeah. Hang on, it's not like being 2 and a half hours early instead of 3 is gonna make you miss your flight." She slightly increased her speed, but nothing to make me satisfied.

I groaned and sank low into my seat as I watched other cars pass by us. You would think that Penny was one of those outrageous drivers who probably had a blind driving instructor, but she drove more like a stay at home soccer mom.

Nevertheless, we arrived at the airport at 9:58 AM, and I scurried out of the car to get my luggage. Penny stepped out and rented one of those wheelie carts for the one checked bag I had, the other one was just a rolling carry-on with my light backpack.