You Can't Hurry Love

•  You Can't Hurry Love by the Supremes •

Miranda and Ben were high school sweethearts. They meet again after not seeing each other in over two decades.

"Mom come on! Our reservation is at 8:00, we're going to be late!" Tuck said to his mom, careful not to raise his voice past the point of disrespect.

"I know baby, coming! Go ahead and start the car for me, I'll be right out." She responded.

Tuck raced to the door. Miranda heard his excited footsteps and laughed.

"William George, I did not say anything about driving anything. Calm yourself before you run into a concussion." She said through a chuckle.

The sixteen year old huffed, he had been eager to drive ever since he got his permit but Miranda couldn't let go, not just yet.

As Tuck got to the car Miranda smoothed down her dress. She was wearing a black open back v-cut halter dress with gold strappy heels, it flowed and stopped at knee point. She admired herself in the mirror as she adjusted her curls and lip gloss. She didn't go out all too often but her son had insisted that she leave her self-inflicted confines to join him and his father, her ex-husband, at Rogelio's for dinner.

"I haven't spent time with both my parents in the same space in over a year Ma!" He had said.

As much as she didn't want to believe it, he was right and she'd felt guilty. Their divorce had been terrible but they were now amicable toward each other so she'd ultimately agreed.

She glanced at herself one last time before she hurried downstairs.

"You look nice." She said to her son as she got in the car.

He smiled his thanks and they were off.

"Tucker Jones. You look good." She greeted her ex upon arrival.

"Miranda Bailey, beautiful as always." He replied standing to hug her.

Neither of them had remarried after their divorce, a few serious relationships here and there for both but they never went on to the next step. Miranda would always love Tucker platonically, he was the father of her child after all but Tucker still loved her, romantically, that Miranda did not know.

"Hey Dad." He said

"Hey son, let's eat." Tucker replied.

The dinner was enjoyable enough for Miranda. There was some light touching from Tucker but she perceived it as friendliness, he was a decent man. After she awhile she excused herself and went to the bathroom. While making her way back to the table she glanced over and saw the man she had buried in the back of her thoughts

"No- no, I'm hallucinating." She thought.

But when he turned and made eye contact she knew her eyes weren't deceiving her. All memories of her youth flooded her mind at once. Memories of her first kiss, first date, first time, first everything. He was the only man she ever truly loved with her whole being, she realized this after her divorce. They locked eyes for what felt like an eternity before she hurried off.

Ben Warren felt whiplashed, as if all air was knocked out of him when he saw Miranda Bailey. She looked even more beautiful than the last time he'd seen her, he didn't think that was possible. She had the same captivating eyes and button nose. She had gained weight in all the right places, her dress displayed her curves in the best ways and her hair framed her face effortlessly. He loved Miranda in braids but this hairstyle was captivating, she looked to be the epitome of elegance. Before he could collect himself and say anything she was gone.