Part 5

Chapter 5

I woke up in the morning to the sound of my dad shouting at me. I knew this would come sooner or later.

"Emillie!  Come down here now," he echoes through the house. I quickly tied my hair in my pony tail to make it the least bit presentable, slipped on my slippers and walked out my room down the stairs. Sure enough, Dad was waiting at the bottom of the stairs.

"Come look what somebody has done to my house! They have defaced this property!" I felt guilty knowing I had been responsible for this but I sure as Hell wasn't going to admit to him that I was responsible for it. I wasn't sure how he would react. He grabbed me by hand like I was a five year old, and drove me to the front door. I done my best impression to act shocked: My mouth dropped open in a typical 'o' shape and I attempted to widen my eyes,

"Who would do this?!" I exclaimed.

"For the life of me, I don't know, Emillie. I just don't know." He suddenly looked helpless and a wave of guilt swept through me. He sat down on the floor with his head in his hands. I wondered what was with the reaction; he was acting far more mad than necessary.

"Sit down, Emillie. I've got some things to tell you," my dad sighed while tapping an empty space next to him. He shuffled to the side as I sat down.

"What's up, Dad?" I was genuinely concerned.

"It's your mother. I don't know how to handle it anymore!" He shook his head whilst saying this.

"What about her?"

"Hmm," he said as he gained exposure. "She came to visit you about a week ago. I didn't let her in because I didn't want her causing problems for you when you've just found stability. Sadly, she didn't take this too lightly, so the next day her new boyfriend phoned me."

"Saying what?" Anticipation filled my face,

"That... Well, if I don't let her see you then I'll have to see the consequences." He looked down as he said this. I could read fear off my dad's face. He was clearly scared. And rightly he was.Dad was a petite man in his late fourties. He could never hit a fly let alone defend himself another man. I couldn't believe Mother would go out with a man as violent as that but I was sure she wasn't aware of the phone call. As much as I knew I should be angry with Dad for dismissing Mother like that, I couldn't make him feel any worse than he clearly already was. I gave him a long hug.

"Enough of this, don't worry about me. I'll be fine. Any plans today?" He asked, pretending to be cheerful.

"Oh, not really." I said.

"How about you come join your old man for some fishing down the lake? We haven't done that in quite some time!" He looked honestly happy.

"After breakfast of course? I'm starving!" I skipped happily in the kitchen and made myself some food. After leaving some things out for dad, I hopped off upstairs, brushed my teeth and got changed. I let my hair out in the mirror and stared at it disgustedly. It was horrific. It was nothing like any other my friends. They all had nice hair. Frustrated with it, I tied it back up into a pony tail to avoid it gaining any attention.

I headed back downstairs to see Dad loading up the car with some fishing equipment. He looked like a child going on his first trip to the zoo. I walked up behind Dad and he swivelled around, sensing my movements.

"You ready?" He said, his glasses steaming up due to the heat of the garage.

"Yep!" He shut the trunk and walked over into the car.

The journey was long and I was tempted to listen to my music the whole way through, but I thought this might offend dad. He clearly thought this was the time for bonding so I didn't want to disappoint him by ignoring him completely in favour of my music.