Chapter One

Cathy tried to sit down on her new reclining sofa that her husband had bought two months ago on his last visit home. She didn't want to lose her grip and fall backwards like she'd done so many times before. She was heavier now and eight months pregnant.

"Honey, I told you to let me help you!" Her mother popped up beside her and held her steady as she gradually eased her down on the couch. Once she was settled her mother propped up her feet.

Cathy let out a grateful sigh. She didn't know what she would do without her mother. Her mom had stayed with her after Brent had left. At first, she thought she could handle the pregnancy on her own and had been against her mother staying with her until she realized she had no idea what she was doing or what was going on with her body. Her mother was there for all the changes she was going through and giving her the support she needed.

"I feel like a hen about to lay eggs and the couch is my nest," Cathy complained. She'd practically molded the sofa to her body.

"Your husband did a wonderful thing by buying you this reclining sofa. You know you love it."

"Don't speak of that man to me. He's the one that put me in this misery," Cathy snapped.

Her mother laughed. "You can't be surly at your husband forever, honey."

"I can as long as I am miserable," Cathy told her. "Do you know how many times I want to slap that stupid smug grin off of his face every time he comes home and sees how big I've gotten? He's not the one having to carry triplets! Triplets! My poor body will never be the same again. Heck, I'll never be the same again! Who gets a woman pregnant with triplets their first time?!"

"Apparently he does," her mother laughed, but stopped when Cathy glared at her.

"Look at my feet," Cathy pointed to her bare feet. "They are so swollen they look like they're about to burst. I feel like I'm walking around on pillows and my face, somehow I've lost my face in my face because it's gotten so bloated along with the rest of me! I'm a fat cow! I don't even know who I am anymore. Why is my neck so dark? Why do I suddenly have all these dark spots on my forehead? Where did that come from? I'm ugly and fat and I can't stop crying at every commercial on TV. Yesterday, there was this commercial about an African-American family trying to buy a phone and they all said "Yep" and I burst out crying because they were so beautifully synchronized as family."

"Oh boy," Mrs. Sanova mumbled. "Hormones running amuck again. Why don't I make you some nice relaxing tea?"

"No!" Cathy yelled at her. "No more water, tea or liquid of any kind! Do you know how many times I have to get up to use the bathroom after one damn cup! Every ten minutes for an hour! I'm not getting out of this sofa again. I'm too comfortable!"

"Ok, that's it young lady!" Her mother scolded her. "You don't yell at your mother and you're not going to stop drinking water. You need to stay hydrated for yourself and those babies. I know you're miserable, sweetheart, but you only got one more month to go and your husband will be home soon."

"I told you, keep that man away from me, Mom!"

"Why don't I call your cousin, she can come over and read one of her books to you again. You liked that before remember?" Her mother said trying to calm her.

Cathy looked at her thoughtfully. "Yeah...ok, but's she's at Lynette's house delivering the birthday cake she cooked for them."

"I'm sure Lynette won't mind." Her mother eagerly grabbed her cell phone and called Kiara.

*********************************************

Lynette gasped in surprise when she called Kiara into the room and Kiara turned around with her face painted and glitter in her hair. She started to laugh. "Kiara, why did you let my girls do that to you?"