Chapter Four

"Is she okay?" Liam looked up at Drake who was exiting the bedroom they moved into in Cormery Isle.

Drake nodded, running his hand through his hair. "Physically? It's just a small cut, she'll be okay. Emotionally?" He shrugged. "She's sleeping now." Olivia handed Drake a drink sitting down next to him on the sofa.

"How about you, Drake?" Liam questioned taking a sip of his drink. He could see the stress painting his friend's features.

"I'm fine", he took a long draw from his whiskey. "I just hate seeing her go through this, she was doing so well."

Liam turned toward Mara, "Can you tell us what you've found?"

She nodded, "I questioned the staff, there was no sign of anyone matching Maxwell's description as a worker or a guest. The staff deny entering your room and all were able to provide appropriate alibi's, although staff are likely to stick together in situations like this."

Olivias eyes narrowed, "What about Neville, that sniveling little weasel."

"Lord Neville was in the meeting with us when the incident occurred, so that rules him out, although it's possible he ordered someone else to do it."

Liam stood, contemplating. "I don't believe it fits for Neville to be involved."

"Why the hell not?" Olivia challenged.

"Well, for starters, how many times has he mentioned his word class establishment? Do you honestly think he would want anything to occur that might tarnish that reputation?"

"You've got a point there", Drake relented.

"But the other thing", he hesitated before looking at Drake. "Could anything actually be seen written on the mirror?"

"What are you getting at, Li?"

"Well, I'm just saying, it was written in steam, so there's no evidence of what she saw. And everything else that happened, it was all...coincidence."

Drake closed his eyes, the muscle in his jaw working back and forth. "You're saying she made it up." He stated as more of a fact than a question.

"No", Liam shook his head. "I'm not saying she made it up. I believe that she thinks she saw it, but after everything she went though. Is it possible that her mind is, maybe it's playing tricks on her?"

Drake exhaled, leaning forward and propping his forearms on his knees. He knew it was possible, it had crossed his mind more than once, but he hated admitting that the woman he loves, might be unraveling. "I...I don't know Li."

Olivia placed a comforting hand on his knee, "We'll get get her through it, Drake. Whatever is going on, she'll be alright."

He exhaled, "I wish she would call off the tour. Head back to Valtoria, or to the cabin, hell, somewhere far away for awhile. I don't care, just not here, with all of this."

"She said no?" Olivia questioned as Drake looked down, nodding his head. "She wants to keep going."

The next day, Annabelle, Drake, Liam and Olivia all boarded the train for Domavallier. They were sitting in the dining cart with Cadence, reviewing the itinerary as Mara sat a few tables over with the rest of the royal guards preparing for their arrival.

"This trip will be slightly different. Lord Rashad and his father, Duke Demetrius have offered to host a fundraiser; a private ball to raise funds for the program. And the best part is, they have offered to match any donations made that evening."

Annabelle's eyes lit up, "That's very generous."

Cadence grinned, "Apparently Duke Demetrius's late wife was a strong supporter of philanthropic efforts such as this. He believes this is a way to pay homage to her."