Chapter Five

There is no way anyone can question whether she was imagining this. We all saw that fucked up fantasy room and the creepy writing in the book." Olivia paced in Rashad's private quarters.

It was several hours after Drake and Annabelle walked into their room at Domavallier to find it set up like a memory from Annabelle's personal horror film. The Royal Guard jumped into action, questioning the staff, while Rashad and his father moved Drake, Annabelle and the monarchs to their private quarters, with added security.

Drake held a quivering Annabelle until she finally fell asleep from sheer emotional exhaustion, and then left Mara watching over her as he joined Liam, Olivia and Bastien to discuss a plan.

"You find that sick fuck and put him back in jail, before I kill him."

Drake's hands were clenched into fists at his sides, his nostrils flaring in barely contained rage.

"I do understand your anger, Drake, but at this point, Maxwell has not actually committed any crime. I have no grounds to lock him up. We can't even be sure he is the one responsible for all of this."

"Oh come on, Liam!" Olivia huffed as Drake paced like a caged animal. "Who else would pull this shit or even know about it?"

"I agree with you both, but I can not just lock people up at my own discretion."

"He never should have been released in the first place." Olivia glared at her husband.

Liam sighed, shaking his head.

"According to the terms of his release, he is required to obtain a residence within one week of release and check in with the court. We are quickly approaching that date. Bastien, can you get in contact with his court appointee? Request to be notified when he checks in."

Bastien had stood silent and tight-lipped as they spoke. He gave Liam a decisive nod and turned to leave, but halted at the door.

"With all due respect, Your Majesty, if I see Maxwell Beaumont? He won't need a prison cell....he'll need a grave."

The following day was planned as a day of leisure. Rashad took it upon himself to cancel the remaining plans, hoping only to get Duchess Annabelle the rest and peace she clearly needed. He arranged to have an elegant, but intimate dinner in their private quarters, rather than the grand dining hall that evening, but in the meantime, Annabelle and Drake took a quiet stroll along the property. They walked hand in hand, quietly admiring the gardens until they came across a wooden swing and sat. Drake draped his arm around his wife, his thumb rubbing soothingly along her bare shoulder.

"I feel like I've changed," Annabelle spoke after a long silence.

"What do you mean?"

She shrugged, looking down at her hands. She was twisting her wedding ring on her finger, a nervous habit she had picked up.

"I used to be stronger, less afraid. It wasn't that long ago I got on a plane with strangers and flew halfway around the world." She looked up at Drake, "Although, one did turn out to be a sociopath."

"Heh, that's a fair point. Maybe some change is good, Granger."

Annabelle sighed, "I just hate that what he did to me, changed me. I thought after all the counseling and my work with HAVEN, I could undo it, go back to being me. But now, knowing he's out there, I don't feel strong and brave anymore, I just feel scared" she shook her head. "He still has power over me....and I hate him for that more than anything else he's done to me."

"Granger...Annabelle", Drake lifted her eyes to meet his own, "Fear is not weakness. Maxwell is an evil bastard and what he did, it changed us all. I'm afraid too, but I'm not going to let him hurt you, or anyone I love, ever again."