Chapter 21: Under-stand?

It took me years to work up the same courage that took you days. With a bashful smile and flushed cheeks you changed my world. It took me forever to realize the same thing that took you a moment. With a beating heart and sweaty palms you broke my walls down. I don't think I knew it at the time, and I wouldn't know it for a long time, but you would mean everything to me.

       The biggest surprise for Chrome wasn't getting saved nor was it getting thrown in jail; it wasn't even the sheer amount of people in a single place. It was the (h/c) haired girl that had an insistence on speaking to him.

Even when the scary dudes were breathing down her neck, she kept a calm smile while she spoke to Chrome. He wondered if she would be coming to talk to him soon.

Chrome sort of liked her presence though. Not as much as Ruri's presence though! Ruri was his one and only! But that didn't mean that (Y/n) didn't intrigue him in the slightest. She was calm for the most part but her eyes bubbled with excitement every time she talked to him. He wondered if this was why Gen seemed to talk about the girl with so much fondness in his eyes.

While Chrome didn't consider himself a mentalist (or even decent at understanding basic human emotions) he understood what it looked like when someone was in love with someone else. Experiencing the emotion himself practically made him an expert and as an expert, Chrome knew that there were at least a handful of people who fancied the (h/c) haired girl.

It wasn't the time to focus on things like that right now though. Chrome needed to observe his surroundings better! And that's when he noticed a familiar watermelon head.

Sukia!

At the edge of the forest, behind a tree, Chrome could make out her familiar form. She looked around curiously, still trying to find the newly captured prisoner.

"Baaad news!" Chrome exclaimed. (Translation: awful). "This jail's boring as heck! That is, the one made of bamboo! Here in this cave! Where I'm locked up!"

He locked eyes with Sukia briefly before she rolled away back into the forest.

They were coming!

His friends were coming to save him!

"That made for quite an entertaining show." A girl's voice caused Chrome to jump back suddenly. She chuckled at Chrome's reaction, "sorry. Did I give you a fright?"

"Scared?" Chrome looked around feigning ignorance, "who's scared? I'm definitely not scared!"

Chrome watched as she hobbled her way towards him, a crutch on either side of her. She made her way to him slowly and Chrome began to wonder how he hadn't noticed her earlier. She certainly wasn't the hardest person to miss.

"Curious about my leg?" (Y/n) asked.

Chrome nodded without thinking, letting his curiosity get the better of him.

"I reinjured it earlier today when I ran towards the cave," she smiled, "pretty foolish of me, huh?"

He shrugged, "I guess so." Chrome didn't notice it earlier (though it was understandable as his life was in danger) but they spoke in strange accents. Much like Senku and Gen, the former stone people spoke differently.

They made more emphasis on certain constants when speaking and elongated their vowels differently. The (h/c) haired girl took that difference a little further, each word coming off as if she took great effort in saying each syllable. Chrome thought it made it easier for him to understand. Unlike the burly guards that were stationed beneath him.

The guards spoke in slang and slurred their words together. They didn't have the same elegance when speaking as the (h/c) haired girl did.

Chrome's voice dropped down to a whisper as the girl neared him, "are you on the same team as them?" He gestured to the guards beneath him.