♧ Naib Subedar

𝑺𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅

• ────── ✾ ────── •

The sound of ghastly thunders hindered your focus. Bullets like rain, everywhere you went was in a turmoil between death and decay. The stench of iron melted into your brain, red liquid growing in a puddle as bodies piled up onto one another. A scene straight out of horror movies, war was a situation that was indescribable until you experienced it yourself.

Breath shaky, the ground beneath your feet rumbled and shook as large tanks and contraptions alike came into view. Large metal clanging as it took bullets, tiny but large amounts of marks were embedded leaving nothing but terrible signs of damage. They were loud, and the sounds of missiles were nothing but messages that this war had only begun. The blue skies were beautiful, but even as the town crumbled into dust and ashes, the vibrant azure blue hues reflected a twinge of hope for survival - at least to see another blue sky. The world around you was littered in grey, and as your footsteps grew heavier in anxiety, your pulsing heart had created a bigger hole.

No matter the age, size, or history, the view had always laid out a picture of death. Morality became weak, and as the day goes by, did the death rates go up. Your limbs ached, hands clutching onto the single pistol that had only a few rounds left to fire. Your mind displayed a single order, and that was to survive. Your troops had perished, left behind in the centre of the whole catastrophe. Limbs screaming to rest, your body refused to stop even when pain became inevitable. Your torso had been bandaged, a bit of blood oozing from an earlier wound, but it can be treated properly later, if you ever did manage to escape.

It became strange to you as this world had laid out the foundations for soul mates and yet people had experienced war and disasters alike more than they could ever find their match. A string of fate guides the two of them together, but with this never ending cycle of war, who is to say that your soul mate had already perished in it? Supposedly, you were able to feel the same physical emotions as your fated partner did too. This included pain, and usually you hated the feeling, but right now it gave you comfort admist the hellish nightmare. He was waiting for you, as you were waiting for him.

This became your only salvation, and when there is love, there is war.

"Eliminate anyone you encounter!" You heard them scream, a number of soldiers marched in near where you had hid. Gasping for air admist the cloudy dusk, your body trembled as you counted whatever was left in your firearm. You wanted to go home, to stay warm, to stay safe in his arms.

Terrified, you let yourself stick to the window, lifting heavy feet onto the crumbling grounds of war. Your heart pounced with a rhythm, as if there was a timer in your chest. It grew louder as ringing was heard at the other, sweat and tears blinded your vision slowly like a ticking bomb ready to pour. But this was nowhere near a right time to cry out sorrows, as every breath counted as survival. Any hesitation could be fatal, and any doubt could be another death trap. In war, your weaknesses were tested to the limit, and those who could surpass were left to drown in traumatic memories. Perhaps survival in trade for comfort.

The pain in your abdomen had grown inevitably atrocious, and looking down at the bandages the blood had stopped staining - which meant only one thing. Blood running cold, you were frightened at the thought of him in danger in any way. The cold breeze nipped at your skin, almost feeling like a scratch against open and fresh wounds. Your mind wandered to several scenarios, to which had constantly begged to never reply again. You started feeling hopeless as more and more footsteps echoed throughout the battlegrounds, and it became almost useless to fight.