August 18, 2022

7:25am

After a significant amount of persuasion, I'm officially moving to New York City! A new chapter of one of my big first in life is beginning and I can't wait to live it.

"Aria, we're going to be late! We were suppose to leave 25 minutes ago!"

"Coming mom" I calmly shout from upstairs while soaking up every last bit of my childhood room.

"The moving truck has been here, ready for us to follow since 7" My mom sighed

"Ready!" I ecstatically say as I shuffled down whilst carrying the last of my bags.

As I arrive down next to the open door ready for me to walk through it, I see my mom gazing me in tears.

"Mom please we have the whole car ride to cry, I thought you said we were late"

"Oh please, my only daughter is leaving me so soon I have the right to cry when I want. You've grown up so much, 19! I can't handle it. Maybe I'll reconsider my decision of letting you move 3 hours away." She says in a slight serious tone

"Yea no, it's too late for that. But I promise I'll visit often, I love you, let's just please get out the door it's 7:26"

"I love you too"

We walk out and lock the door behind us, and I can't help but take a long look at the house that I've lived in for the past 18 years.

I knew I would miss this, it isn't much but it's home. The colors of it are unmatched; especially with our red maple tree that carried it's fiery tone of color along our home all year long.

I took another look back as I got in the car. How I'll miss that beautiful white porch I sit on almost everyday admiring the sunset.

"Can't believe this won't be my home anymore" Im kind of in disbelief

"This will always be your home, remember that"

We smile at each other, a real bittersweet moment.

Before I knew it we were on the George Washington Bridge crossing over to Manhattan!

"Wow i haven't seen New York since dad brought me here when I was 12"

"Ah That was a fun trip for you guys wasn't it?"

"It really was" I say trying not to make it seem a big deal even though I constantly reminisce it as one of my best memories with dad.

My clouded thoughts of my adolescence were vanished as I was brought back to reality by my mother who started talking louder and louder, waving her hands in the air away from the wheel trying to express her anger in every which way, all while being stuck in traffic.

I should of known she would bring this up.

"Now he's busy with that new tramp and the twins! He has no time for his real family anymore."

"Mom he's still with Lorraine, remember? We attended their wedding a few years back. The twins are almost 10 now. They are a real family it's about time we accept it."

"I know it just feels like yesterday I had to watch the man I gave up everything for to marry some young woman looking for a rich man to support her and her kids."

We both sit in silence staring at the ocean beneath us.

"I'm sorry, I'm fine without him, it's just, I just want you to be happy."

"I promise I am, and plus dad isn't all so bad, I mean he is renting out my apartment for me, even if he doesn't see me occasionally doesn't mean he's totally forgotten about us, he's still supporting me."

Mom keeps quiet, I guess she doesn't know what else to say.

We sat in silence but shortly after the loud cars disturbed the peace and we finally moved forward.

The truck mom is following started to pick up speed and down an exit. My new home was just moments away!

I know Manhattan is a fancy place, but I'm sure it not all that. My dad had asked a favor from his friend to lend a little space for me for half the price so I don't expect anything crazy.