• mom •

"Happy mother's day"

Grace sighed as she put up the sign in front of the diner. She knew it was just another holiday to live on, but exactly for that reason she needed work to distract herself from bigger reasons and thoughts. The sign was up, the sun was shining so bright today and a lot of people were out still looking for very last minute mother's day gifts or some food. She knew it would be a busy day and as hard as it was, it came perfectly in time to keep her mind away from herself.
People were coming in a rush, some walk ins or to pick up something they ordered previously. Grace was already rather tired and it was only the beginning of the day, but she knew the reason for that was not how many people she was serving. You see, Grace lost too much too soon. And maybe that's how it was supposed to be, some people are taken away from us too soon and we will never be able to explain why. Still, is it fair for a little girl to go through that? And to go through things she never asked for? Or do you really think it's funny to be picked on by your six year old classmates because you are you? Kids can be mean, don't tell me otherwise because you know it's true. Grace lost count of how many times she found her things all over the classroom floor, carefully picking up every pencil and pen, placing everything on her desk and putting away her notebooks. She lied and told the teacher she didn't feel good many times just so she could go to the nurse and get sent home. Her soft and cozy bed was always waiting for her, no one ever asked questions why she would not talk. They knew when to wait, when to help or when to intervene.

What hurts for her the most in this day is how she misses her mom. How can she miss Ruby so badly when she can barely remember her? Well, she'll never forget her face but she was still a baby, her earliest memories are maybe lullabies and the smell of her childhood room. And then again, the other mother figure she had was also taken away from her too soon. At least with Diana, she actually remembers more. But somehow with her godmother, she fears one might forget her face. Not the wow factor of being the princess of Wales but her kindness, how she loved everything and how she tried. Truth is, her mom was rather lucky and considerably out of the spotlight while the later, was followed by the spotlight until the very end.

- Earth to Grace, Grace to earth.

She heard Jim calling her, she shakes her head a bit and looks at him with a small smile. Not saying sorry, but also saying it at the same time.

- How can I help? I just have to fin...

- Well, actually I was wondering if you wanted to meet Lulu, Jenna just arrived to pick up some things and brought the baby along.

Grace immediately put away the menus she was organising and turned to him with the biggest smile on her face. She's been waiting to meet baby Lulu for so long and now she will finally hug that sweet little girl. Jim walked with her to the staff waiting room, a cozy space for the workers to rest between shifts with things like couches and a tv. Jenna was sitting with the baby on her lap when Grace arrived, both immediately smiled and Grace quickly went to wash her hands before sitting by her friend's side. She extended her arms and carefully grabbed Lulu.

- She is so beautiful.

- Isn't she?

- She looks like her mom.

Jim just agreed to the whole conversation, his daughter was a perfect copy of Jenna, although her personality so far had been inclined to his side.

- She is such a Louise.

Grace said with a smile while Lulu played with the end of her braided hair.

- It took us a while to get to that, all we knew was that we wanted a name to use the nickname Lulu. Jim said proudly.