Chapter 19: August 4th, 1969

TRIGGER WARNING: 

If you have depression, this chapter might be toxic for you, so please don't read it if it will make your condition worse. 

I will include a recap of this chapter in the next one, so you don't miss anything of what happened and you can continue reading the story. 

/!/ MENTION OF SUICIDAL THOUGHTS /!/ 

* * * 

"Tell me, Amane" , Hanako said in her usual playful voice. "Did you know I don't have much longer in this world?"

She sat on her closed toilet seat, one leg resting on the other, looking down on the boy before her and smiling widely. He was on his knees, holding his injured wrist with his good hand, struggling to stop the hot bitter tears of pain from streaming down his bruised cheeks.

"What do you mean?" , he asked, his voice broke a little at the end.

She giggled. What's so funny?

"You silly" , she replied. "You don't know anything, do you? I have almost accomplished the one unfinished task keeping me in the Near Shore"

She hopped off her toilet seat, straightened the wrinkles on her scarlet skirt then leaned down so that her face is on the same level as Amane's. Her smile was warm as the sun, but her eyes were as cold as ice. Green like a snake's, their gleam stronger than the afternoon sunlight coming from the window behind her, the back of her head faced the sun, so her features were drenched in shadow, yet every detail was completely visible, showing one crystal clear feeling: Happiness.

Hanako-san was delighted today.

"What is the task?" , Amane asked reluctantly. He knew he would regret ever knowing the answer, but he had to always agree with her, or else he'll get a bigger beating.

Tsukasa. I'm doing this for Tsukasa, he reminded himself, and the memory of his twin brother, smiling, giggling, alive and well, warmed his broken heart a little.

Hanako inched closer to the boy, and in a brief moment, Amane felt the contact of her lips on his right ear.

"Revenge" , she whispered. "Seeing the same look I had before I died on someone else's face"

Amane swallowed hard, and realized that his throat was extremely dry. He licked his chapped lips, hoping to wet them a little.

Hanako stood up. "Now" , she started. "It's time we both get what we want, don't you agree?"

What is she talking about?

The boy's heart knew when to panic, his chest throbbed, his knees shook. The pain in his arm was nothing compared to the terror he now felt, awaiting the decision of the girl he had a deal with.

She searched her left pocket for such a long time that Amane expected the worst: a knife? a scythe? a hanging rope? Poison? What was her new torturing toy?

He never thought it would be...a vial?

"Tadaa!" , Hanako exclaimed. "This" , she ran a finger down the glassy surface, the scarlet shapeless form inside it cowering from her indirect touch. "Is your brother's soul"

Amane's blood froze. His mouth dropped open, he simply stared at the girl, eyes as wide as the moon, not daring to believe what he had just heard.

"What?"

"You heard me. You pass. I'm done torturing you. You paid your price already" , she said, a little too fast. She seemed disappointed by the end of her games, but there was a shadow of another feeling on her face, and Amane didn't know what.