Chapter 1: Missing

Hey, did you hear about this rumor?

In the third stall from the end of the girl's bathroom, on the third floor of the old building...you will find Hanako-san.

Hanako-san is a boy who attended Kamome Gakuen, until he died in suspicious, unknown circumstances. Nobody knows the reason for his death, and nobody wants to find out. His ghost now roams in the girl's bathroom, granting one wish to anyone who summons his spirit, in exchange for something precious.

How do you summon him, you say?

The person will have to knock three times on the door, then....

"Hanako-kuuuuun!!" , I scream with what I have left of self-esteem, as I enter the girls' toilet in the old building. "Are you there?"

My voice ricochets on the walls, greeting me back with mere echos, and I sigh in frustration.

Where is Hanako-kun? How mean of him to let me come all the way without even saying hello in the middle of classes like he's used to, only signaling his desires by a small piece of paper with a horrible handwriting and with kanji that aren't even---

I freeze.

Since when did Hanako-kun do that sort of thing? He will always come and tease me or say some really weird things that make my heart flutter and my face flush like the tomatoes I grow in the school garden! He will tell me things like the fact that he was getting bored or that we should probably do something interesting or... I gasp as the realization hits me like a punch in the gut.

He is upset.

Yes, he is upset because I've been slacking off and running away from cleaning the girls' bathroom all day long yesterday!

It must be.

I look around me, attentive for any sign of a hiding-in-the-shades-and-pouting Hanako-kun, or a silent Haku-joudai. I even look under the sinks, inside the toilet seats -but of course, I don't put my head inside inside, that is not for a lady to do- , outside the window, in the trash can.

Nothing.

I frown. This is weird.

The only evidence I have is a piece of paper with a horrible handwriting, apparently from Hanako-kun.

Come to the girls' toilet after school,

Hanako

Yep, this is definitely not written by him.

"Hanako-kun" , I whisper, feeling the panic rise in me. "Where are you?"

I spot one of the numerous Mokke, seemingly playing a staring game with one of the plants I put on the windowsill, oblivious to the incredibly loud silence that fills the room.

"Mokke-san" , I approach the pink creature and lean so that my face is on the same level as theirs. "Have you seen Hanako-kun?" , I ask, trying to make my face look as menacing as I can.

It doesn't work.

The Mokke shakes his body. "Shinda" , he squeals. "He's dead"

I sigh louder this time. "Yes, I know" , I say. "But where is he?"

"Shinda!" , the Mokke repeats.

I don't understand. Hanako-kun is already dead. Why would the pink apparition say something like that, now of all times?

Unless....

My heart leaps in my stomach, and I fight the tears already forming in my eyes, clouding my vision, reducing the world around me to nothingness.

To nonsense.

My heart responds to the race of my negative thoughts, to the battle of hope against despair, as the heartstrings wrap around my throat, threatening to choke me at any second, and it hurts, it hurts so bad.

A world without Hanako-kun hurts so bad.

I race down the stairs, emerging from the darkness of the old building to the light of reality, where apparitions don't exist, where the living conquer, and the dead rest in their graves for all eternity.

Kou. I need to find Kou. 

----------

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

Hey everyone! i hope you're fine! I decided to write this hanako fanfic because it was such an interesting concept and it opens so many fantasy horizons , so i hope you'll enjoy this small fantasy story and it makes you want to read more of my work! 

HAVE FUN !