Flashback

3rd Person POV
"Nao... Miss Nao... You look pale Miss Nao." Mishima said. "Professor... I... I... I feel like I'll never paaaaaaaaaaaass!!" Nao exclaimed.

"M…Miss Nao? What’s the matter? Exams are a ways away yet. And I’m sure you’ll be fine, Miss Nao." "I can’t…!! If I fail, I… What’ll I even do?!"

"Hrmm… Please calm down. I’m busy driving…!" "Maybe I’ll swallow a bunch of mud and die?!

"It seems you feel quite cornered… Err… miss Nao. To tell the truth, I failed my college exams." Mishima confessed. "Huh…?! You did, professor…?"

"Yes, indeed. I had grades as good as anyone’s… And a more or less serious lifestyle… I put in a perfectly good effort. …At least I believed so. However, where some will pass, others will fail. There’s nothing that can be done about it. And, being more conceited than the average person… I lashed out at everything. However, people can always improve themselves. So, Miss Nao. What do you suppose gives people the impetus to improve?"

"Being in a new environment." Nao answered. "Ohh! A rather mature point of view! Yes, for most of a student’s life is at school. By just taking a step outside, you can realize what a small community it really is. Your worries… can appear much smaller that way."

"Well, in my case… it was time. It required an above-average amount of time… But I regained the courage to face forward. And such is why now… I enjoy my time with you and the rest of the class. Though I failed, I gained happiness. The dream I had pictured did not come to pass, but the reality I found was much like a dream." Nao looked at Mishima. "Professor…"

"There’s nothing to fear in failure. A person’s life does not end there." Mishima stopped the car at the red light and turned to Nao. "As long as you live on… Happiness will surely come to you!" Mishima said with a eye-closed smile. Nao looked at him and returned the smile. (While writing that, I almost cried-)