16 - Who? What? Huh?

"Phi, we need to report this to the police. It was a deliberate attack on you. You could have been seriously hurt" said Ren, his voice trembling.

He hadn't left my side since I'd returned home, following me everywhere like a puppy.

"I did lodge a complaint with the officers who came to the cafe. But I had nothing to put in the report - no suspects, no motive, no evidence.

The number I received the call from was restricted so it didn't even register on my phone" I said, patting his back. He looked close to tears.

"I know they're your employers, but I need you to tell us - was this done by the Sakdans? Don't lie, please" asked Pear, crossing her arms and squaring off against Wat.

She was tiny, but she was fierce. She glared at Wat and he was taken aback by her aggression.

He shook his head.

"It wasn't them. This is not how they operate. Their word is everything to them. And they have no reason to attack or threaten Tine this way when they have already agreed to give you a year's time to repay Party Poppers' loan."

"Then who could it be? And what ledgers were they talking about?" I wondered aloud.

"Is it possible that this has something to do with Dad? Like some insurance claim that he didn't settle or file properly?" asked Ren, his big doe eyes darting between Pear and me.

"That's a good suggestion. I'll call the office tomorrow and enquire if they've received any claims against Dad's policies" I assured him.

"Do you think the break-ins at our place and Fong's were connected to this threat?" asked Pear, staring at Wat.

I glanced at Wat, who looked grim and nodded his head slightly.

Wat looked scared. And if he was scared, I needed to be terrified.

*

"Thank you so much for letting us come over like this, and on such short notice" I said, gratefully.

"Please, you don't need to be so formal. Mix will help you get settled" said Earth, holding the door open for us.

I was scared for the twins and Fong. Whoever the attacker was could target them next.

Fong had a night shift at the hospital, and he assured me that he would be completely safe there. He had his own bodyguard, a trainee intern who worshipped the ground he walked on.

He promised he would check in every hour and go straight to Earn's serviced apartment after his shift. I knew she had top notch security in her building, and I felt relieved.

That left me with the twins to cater for. And Earth was the only one I could trust to keep them safe.

It had taken only one call to him, and he had sent Mix in a chauffeured car to bring us to his home.

I pulled Earth to one side as Mix took Ren and Pear to their rooms.

"For the next two weeks, I'm leaving my whole world in your care, Earth. I didn't want the twins to create a fuss about this, so I didn't tell them earlier - I won't be staying here with you all.

I need to be out there looking for whatever the hell we're being threatened for. And I can't put them at risk" I said in a low voice,

Earth didn't look convinced but he nodded.

"I trust Wat to look after you. There's no one better for the job. Don't hesitate to call me if you need anything at all" he said.

Absurd as it was given the situation we were in, I felt a flare of pride for the reputation that Wat had and the confidence he inspired.