Chapter 2: Something is happening

The house shook. Janika's eyes jolted open and frantically looked around the room to try and make sense of what had just happened. She quickly reached for her phone on the nightstand and tried to peak at the time with blurry eyes. 3:16am. What on earth is going on? she hissed in her head. Another shake, but this time it came from downstairs. Why did it have to be downstairs, and why did it have to be when she was at home by herself. A million scenarios ran through her head. Earthquake? No that doesn't make sense, if it was an earthquake then how come the sound came from just downstairs? Burglar? Surely not, something of that magnitude would have had come from something like a battering ram. Whatever it, Janika had watched enough movies to know that staying in her room would be the best thing for her to do. It was quiet for a few minutes. And then ... 

BANG! CRRAACCKKK! SCREECHH! 

What is going on! terrified, she pulled the blanket up over her head, because everyone knows that nothing can find you if you have your blanket over your head right? Another stretch of silence. And then another. And then another. Maybe whatever it was is gone. But she had a feeling that it wasn't over yet. She was terrified, but there was a feeling in her stomach that she just could not shake. 

BANG! 

She flinched under her covers and almost began to cry. What was going on. This explosion was different. Instead of being followed by silence, it was followed by a sustained scratching sound. She listened closer and heard what sounded like white noise. The noise that came from static when the TV disconnected. Although that barely happened in these times, she knew what that sounded like. Surely all of those sounds did not come from the television disconnecting? That was impossible. Now came her decision. Would she wake up and try to figure out what was happening downstairs like her gut was telling her to do? Or would she follow her head which screamed at her to just stay under the covers and go to sleep. 

More static

You asked for an adventure, she tried to joke to herself. Maybe that was it. Maybe it was karma for all of those times she complained about her life being ordinary. 

"If this was because I always complained that nothing ever happened, I'm so sorry. I promise I will never do it again. I promise I will never ever complain again" she whispered in the dark. To who? She did not know. 

More static

As much as she wanted to stay under the covers and sleep it out. Something was pulling her to follow her gut and see what was going on. In her twenty years of living in this town, never once had anything even remotely interesting happened. And now that something was, would she pass up the opportunity to be a part of what is happening? If she died, then what? But also if she lived. Then what? 

That was it. She slid the covers off of her head and swung her legs off the bed and place her feet lightly on the floor. Deep breaths Janika deep breaths. The floor creaked. She knew that the floors normally creaked, but the silence was deafening and it was as if the creaking of the floor boards echoed through the house. She held her breath and reached for the door, hands shaking and sweat beginning to form on her forehead. With a deep exhale she turned the handle and tried her best to avoid the hinges squeaking. A deep breath in and she slid her way through the hall way, down the stairs and closer to whatever was making the static noise. 

It's the TV?

The TV illuminated the living room, the screen stuck on a white static. This however was not normal to the usual static that you would see when the connection was compromised. It was not the usual streaky grays and purples and blues. No. This was white. It was a pure white static, that moved across the screen almost like water. It was mesmerising. Hypnotising. Janika all but forgot her feeling of fear and moved closer to try and make sense of what was happening on the screen. As she moved closer it looked like there was a picture beginning to form. She was no longer scared. She felt content. It was similar to the feeling she had of being on the range. Something was calling out to her. It was not a voice, but more of a feeling. She felt herself being drawn toward the swirls of milky white and cream dancing on the TV screen. There was something in there. There was something happening.

And then darkness.

Yay! Another short chapter, but I promise I am just setting the scene and whatnot. I hope you are all enjoying my story so far. I certainly am having a lot of fun writing it so hopefully more people will come and enjoy it with me! I think the next chapter will be longer, hopefully. Thank you again!