vii

VII. JUST LIKE
THE MOVIES
" at last "

"You two aren't even watching the fuckin' episode are- are you? Too busy makin' googly eyes at each other

"You two aren't even watching the fuckin' episode are- are you? Too busy makin' googly eyes at each other. Jesus. Look, there I am in the back of the truck! Here I come!"

Rick coughed and took a large gulp of beer as he pointed at the small screen once more. Lucia cleared her throat and brought the can to her lips. She did her best to ignore the way Cliff's calloused hands steadily moved down her arm. He'd propped his moccasin-clad feet upon the coffee table and their knees brushed against each other. Lucia looked at the television just in time to see two cars speeding down a dusty road.

"That PCH?" Cliff asked through the cigarette that hung loosely between his lips, referring to the winding highway on screen.

"Yeah, yeah," Rick replied. "Malibu. Puerco Canyon or some shit, I don't know. Boom!"

Lucia's eyes widened at Rick's exclamation as his character shot one of the drivers.

"Aw man, right in the face!" Cliff chortled, and Lucia could feel the laughs in his chest.

She watched as the shocked passenger reached over the dead body to slow the truck. A plume of dust arose as he did so. Rick jumped out of the bed of his truck, filled with hay.

"That was a smooth leap," Cliff commented.

"I was just about to say," Lucia added.

Rick chuckled, "Thank you."

Rick's character shot yet another man dead through the truck window. The passenger fell to the ground, coated in blood. Rick ran up to the shattered glass of the truck for a beautiful close up, an evil smirk upon his lips.

"Ooh, I like that shot," Lucia muttered, taking another swig of her beer.

Rick's character walked around to the back of the robbed vehicle. He opened the bed door and took off the lid of a box that sat in the back, filled to the brim with weapons of all kind.

"All right, get ready for my big FBI moment!"

Dramatically, while chewing gum to make him look that much cooler, Rick looked directly at the camera. The screen froze and the bold letters read: "File #52-499362-M Michael Murtaugh THEFT OF GOVERNMENT PROPERTY."

The three let out satisfied laughs at the stirring music. Cliff let out what were, in Lucia's opinion, adorable chuckles.

"Michael Murtaugh," he read dramatically as he turned to face his pal. "It's good!"

"I love it," Lucy added with a sweet smile. She was beginning to realize how close the two men really were, and it warmed her heart.

The episode ran its course. Although Lucia loved Rick's character, good always triumphed over evil. He met his grisly end. And despite Rick's insecurities deep down, Lucia did not hesitate to repeat often that he was a fantastic actor. Cliff, knowing exactly what he was doing, had let his hand travel to rest upon her hip... brushing against the exposed skin under her shirt nonchalantly. Lucia certainly didn't mind, but it did disrupt her focusing on the episode. His lips had also brushed against her cheek multiple times... so softly that she wondered if it was simply her imagination.