ii

II. HIGH HOPES
"big girls don't cry"

 HIGH HOPES"big girls don't cry"

"Enzo, I'm heading out!"

"What the hell do you mean, 'heading out?'"

Lucia pulled her purse higher up on her shoulder and spun around near the restaurant's door. She had her script tucked under her arm and held it up for her boss to see. It was Friday- the day of her audition, and she was leaving to catch a taxi to the studio.

"My audition, remember? I told you I was gonna have to leave work early today," Lucia explained, furrowing her brows. Did he not listen to her?

"Fuck," Enzo whispered. He pulled off his chef's hat, ran a hand through his curly Italian hair, then down the side of his chubby red face. He threw his hands out in despair and nodded. "All right. Okay. But you're workin' overtime some day next week, you hear me? I got no time for slackers."

Lucia saluted him and quickly pressed her palms together in a gesture of thanks, "Got it. Thanks, boss!"

"Yeah, don't thank me yet..." Enzo trailed, flailing his hat in her direction before sauntering over to barrel through the kitchen doors.

Lucia let an excited but nervous grin pass over her face as she exited the establishment. The warm California air brushed across her tan cheeks and flowed through her hair. It was the feeling of endless opportunity- chances that were just out of her reach. She could taste them... she was so close. All it took was one call back. And, of course, she hadn't forgotten her exchange with the handsome stuntman the day before. She wanted to see him again. Lucia sped across the lot to the main road and swiveled her head to catch a glimpse of a ride. She stood for a few minutes, flipping through the pages of the work she was desperate to be a part of, but kept an eye on the bustling street.

She checked her watch a few times as seconds ticked by. She didn't want to be late and make a bad first impression! Soon enough, the familiar yellow of a Los Angeles taxi graced her sight. She stepped toward the edge of the sidewalk and waved her hand out to signal that she needed a ride. The taxi didn't slow. Lucia continued her attempt to catch their attention, but they flew past her on the road, kicking up a cloud of dust.

Lucia held her hands up in the air in disbelief and her jaw was open wide. She stared after the car that was speeding away and looked around, as if anyone else was paying attention. When she realized no one was, she took a few steps forward and raised her middle finger as high as she could... hoping that the driver caught every angle in his rearview mirror.

"Hijo de puta (son of a bitch)," she whispered, looking away. She collapsed on a nearby bench and looked at her watch once more. 1:15. It was getting painfully close to her audition time of 1:30. She set her head in her hands and let out a long sigh, running her fingers through her hair.

Then, the sound of a car pulling up beside her caught her attention.

"That you, honey?"

The familiar suave voice of the man she wanted to see again made her head shoot up in shock. She locked eyes with the stuntman who sat in his boss' yellow 1966 Cadillac with a handsome smirk across his face. She stood up from her spot on the bench and immediately walked forward.