14

gale song — the lumineers

"and there was a time

when i stood in line

for love, for love, for love."

Sofia would have been extremely happy to never leave Lily Evans's bed, where she'd been lying for the past couple of hours.

Chloe came into the dormitory after dinner, she'd been on a date while everything went down but had been filled in by Lily.

Chloe sat on the bed next to Sofia, who had her arm wrapped around her legs. "If Sirius didn't give you the potion, then what the heck happened? I thought it made you fall in love with whoever gave it to you."

"Yeah, usually that's how it works. I... I'd been experimenting with some potions, I wanted to see if I could make one that made you attracted to a specific person. I used Sirius's DNA because it was easy to get," Sofia explained, her voice strained.

"I still don't get how you drank it accidentally."

Sofia groaned, letting her forehead fall on her pulled-up knees. "It was the goddamned burrito!"

Chloe frowned. "What?"

"I was eating a burrito while I grabbed some potions this morning. I disposed of the variation I made because I thought it wouldn't work. I guess some droplets reached my burrito. And when I finished it later that day, I ingested some of the potion."

"I thought we weren't supposed to eat in the potions classroom."

Sofia wished Chloe would just let out the laugh she was holding back. But Chloe was too nice of a friend to laugh at Sofia's stupidity. "I guess when you have a private potions lab, you start taking some liberties."

"Probably shouldn't let Slughorn hear about this."

Sofia took a deep breath. "Yeah, at least Evans was there. I doubt many people in this school have the mind to keep universal antidotes on hand."

Speaking of the devil, Lily walked into the dormitory and took a seat at the edge of her bed. "I know that you're still... processing things, but I thought you should know that Sirius has set up an armchair outside the dormitory and he seems intent on not taking his eyes off the door for a second."

Sofia groaned. She wasn't ready to face him yet.

"I think you should talk to him, at least to reassure him you guys are still good," Lily said.

Lily was probably right but Sofia felt like she would die of embarrassment if she saw him right now.

Sofia got up from the bed slowly and headed towards the door.

"Are you going to talk to him or are you just going back to your dorm?" Chloe called after her.

Sofia didn't respond. It would be incredibly easy to just go back to her room and at least have the night before she had to face Sirius. But maybe it was better to just rip off the Band-Aid.

Truly, Sofia didn't know what she would say to him. She'd been trying not to think about that half-hour she'd spent under the influence of her doctored love potion. She just knew that she should apologise and never speak of it again.

She went down to the common room.

Lily had been right. Sirius had been sitting right in front of the girls' dorms and he'd stood the second he saw Sofia.