The next morning

Hi, I'm still alive and yes, I will continue this story! I was busy with life and I apologise for not updating in so long. Also a big thank you for your feedback to my last chapter. I was kinda nervous to post to be honest and I was overwhelmed by all the positive feedback in the comments and in my dms. So thank you <3
There will be a little change; I will update every other week now and not weekly anymore. It (probably) will still be on sundays but it might vary (like with this one). Anyway, I hope y'all are safe and happy, thank you for all your support and I hope you enjoy ♥️
-
I get woken up by a cry. It doesn't take me long to realize it's Mamie crying. Don is still asleep so I try to free myself carefully. Only when I get out of bed I realize I'm not wearing anything. I grab my silk robe, put it on and leave the room, trying to open and close the door as quiet as possible. Walking only on my toes I walk down the hallway straight to Mamie's room. Her room is dark, only her nightlight giving some light, but enough to lighten up her nursery room. I close the door behind me so I have some peace. Not that anyone is up anyway. I bend over her crib, pick her up, hold her bottom and resting her head on my shoulder. Just within a few seconds she stops. The shoulder hold was Henry's favorite position and always calmed him down. Luckily it seems like Mamie is the same. I sit down on the rocking chair I got from Cherilyn when Henry was born. I spent more nights in that chair than in my bed for at least one year. Not because he didn't sleep or cried a lot, but because I wanted to be with him. It was a time when I realized once again how lucky I am with Don. He slept alone many nights but never complained. He knew how important this was for me to spend as much time as possible with him and he gave me the time I needed.
Mamie starts whining when I start rocking back and forth. I stop but she doesn't. „You're probably hungry, aren't you?" I make myself comfortable and get her to my breast. The whining stops and she starts sucking. „There you go" I stroke over her little head. I sing her a lullaby while she's eating. It's a lullaby I learned from my mother, the lullaby she always sung to my brothers and me:
„Little drops of water,
Little grains of sand,
Make the mighty ocean
And the pleasant land.
Thus the little minutes,
Humble though they be,
Make the mighty ages
Of eternity."
Mamie was asleep as soon as I finish the song. 'Babies have such an easy life' I think to myself. Eat and sleep, you don't have to do anything and everyone adores you. Lost in the thought, I relax and my eyes get heavy. Instead of getting up and get back to Don, I make sure Mamie is safe in my grip and then make myself comfortable in the chair as well.
I get woken up by the birds singing, sunshine in my face and a delicious smell coming from downstairs. I missed being home. Mamie is still asleep in my arms but I know she will wake up soon anyway so I decide to not move until she wakes up. As usually, she starts whining around 8am. I press her against my chest and go downstairs with her. I turn left at the bottom of the stairs and see Dorothy standing in the doorframe to the kitchen.
„Good morning Dorothy" I say in a singing voice. She turns around and gives me a sweet „Good morning to you too" back. Dorothy is just standing there and just now I realize she's looking at something.
„What's so interesting in there?"
„Come and see for yourself" she moves out of the way and I pass her. Now I know what is so interesting. Don is standing at the stove, three pans on. One with scrambled egg, another one with bacon and the last one looks like pancake batter. I raise my eyebrows and turn back to Dorothy. She responds with a smile, but it also still surprised. „Whatever you did yesterday, it was good" she whispers to me before turning around and disappearing in the hallway. „Let me know when it's ready" I hear her say and then she's gone. Walking into the kitchen, I see the dining table being all set, even with flowers!
„Good morning you" Don turns around and he starts to smile when he sees me.
„Good morning honey" he washes his hands and dries them quickly before taking my face into his hands and giving me a soft kiss on my lips. Then he leans down and gives Mamie a kiss on her head. I hear someone running down the stairs „And here comes the other one" I say with a smile and only seconds later Henry runs towards us.
The breakfast is bigger than what we had on our honeymoon. But the food wasn't better. Don is not someone who's known for cooking but it was a sweet gesture so Dorothy and I do our best to hide what we think about the food. Henry, however, is stuffing pancakes like I've never seen doing it anyone ever before. It's past ten when we start tidying up. Dorothy took Mamie and Henry upstairs to get them ready while Don and I clear and clean everything in the kitchen. We just finished when our landline rings. It's Cherylin.