Father daughter time

After I got out of bed, I go into the bathroom to freshen up a little before I go downstairs to see Dorothy.
„Oh there you are. Did you do something dirty?"
„Mom!" Don hisses at his mom. I can't find words and only blush.
„What? Your dad and I didn't wait longer than we had to" she explains like it's a normal thing to talk about while unpacking the groceries.
„Okay, I'm leaving" Dorothy and I look at each other, laughing when he really leaves the kitchen.
„He's so tight up, I don't know where he gets it from. Definitely not from me" she scoffs. I don't know what to say after this and I try to think quickly of something else to talk about.
„So, uhm, thank you for the banner and the cake. I suppose it was your idea?"
„I don't wanna throw shade over my son or talk him down but you know he would never think of that. He's really creative, obviously, but only when it comes to sculptures"
„That's true" I giggle at the thought of what happened when we decorated Henry's room 4 years ago. All he said was that he think it would be a good idea to put the bed in the corner. „Because the shape fits perfectly" I don't know why I was expecting that to be honest. Since then I really only ask him when I need advice for shapes. Which... I never really did but at least I know or have someone who can help me.
„Now, listen to me Mary." she is all serious now. „After I had my second child, William and I didn't even touch each other. The spark was gone, we were never really in the mood. It almost ruined our relationship. A friend of mine told me later that was a mistake. She said we should have just started it and everything else would have followed. What I wanna say is, don't wait too long" I'm not exactly sure what to say because I wasn't expecting talking about my sex life with my mother-in-law, not even a week after I gave birth. I realise my jaw dropped. „Uhm..." I start.
„Come on, talk to me Mary Louise" she wants an answer but I still don't really know what to say. Usually I'm fine with talking about things like that, I don't know why I'm struck right now.
„Look, Dorothy, the thing is; it's not like we don't want to or we are not in the mood, trust me, we are" I laugh „...I don't know why I just said that. Anyway, we actually had a moment today and... you kind of interrupted us"
„Oh... I'm sorry about that. But I'm glad to hear you are not drifting apart. That's great news. You are wonderful and I can't imagine another woman for Don" her eyes are getting watery which causes me to tear up as well.
„What about this, tomorrow I take the kids out and you can have some time alone." her wink after that makes me blush for some reason.
„No, that's too much to ask you for"
„Come on, I offered it. I would love to take them out. Please, I'm also doing it for me" she grabs my arms and squeezes them a little. I hesitate.
„Okay. You can take them out tomorrow. I can't promise anything will happen thou but even just alone time with him I think would be great for our marriage"
„That's my girl. You got it" she pulls me in for a hug. I gladly accept it and hug her back. A cry interrupts us and I remove myself from our hug.
„Duty calls" I give her a smile „Are you okay with unpack the groceries?"
„Of course" she replies and I leave the kitchen.
I'm halfway up the stairs when the crying stops. Walking towards her room, I can hear a voice coming out of her room. Immediately I think Henry is with her and I now more like rush into her room, not because I don't trust him but because I want to see them together. When I arrive the top stairs I can see her door is only leaned on. I open the door and, for some reason I'm surprised, I see Don instead of Henry. The room is dark, only her night light gives some light. Standing at the door, I can see him rocking and she's cooing. It's a picture I would love to see forever and her sound makes it all even better.