6 ~ Struggle... and Hope?

Romeo's P.o.V.

Panic struck me as my eyes ran over the fragile shape of the broken girl in front of me. For a short while, I couldn't move at all, paralysed by the shock. Yes, I had been worried that something might happen to Wendy while I was gone, but I didn't think that she would be so defenceless. No, that wasn't right. Wendy could defend herself. Whatever attacked her, she wouldn't have realised it coming. If she had realised, she would have been prepared. I was sure of it.

But right now, that wasn't important. Actually, nothing was important. Nothing mattered, other than the fact that Wendy was injured and in a very bad condition. I had to do something about it, and quickly. I couldn't recognise just by looking what magic it was that struck her, but it was clearly something that didn't do any good. I made my way through the flowers and across the wet soil to where Wendy was lying. I carefully tried to remove some of the withered thorns away from near the body, but then I realised the trouble.

As soon as I tried to remove the thorns, they started to wind around my hands. I could see them creeping up and around Wendy's body as well. I tried to pull my hands free, but they were wrapping too tight and too fast. I soon saw the numerous scars that had appeared on my hand as I struggled against the thorns. Blood started trickling down my skin, shading it in a deep scarlet. I let out a groan in pain, but continued to focus on trying to remove the thorns.

'Ugh...'

The struggle continued for what felt like hours, but it was probably not that long. Every second the thorns grew, and the pain that they were bringing me was agonising. I had been panting since long ago, and now I was finding it difficult to even breathe. They had encased both my arms, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't break free. As for Wendy, she was in the same condition - the thorns had wrapped all around her legs, arms and torso. They were now creeping up the sides of her head, her long blue hair been long trapped by the thorns. But there was one thing that brought me immense relief, and that was that Wendy was unconscious. It tore me apart to imagine the pain that she would be in, had she been conscious.

I tried to focus on the task before me. It was extremely difficult to clear my head enough to think properly. All the shock and the pain were creating a fog which clouded my thoughts. I was starting to get black spots in my vision from all the stress and anxiety. But I couldn't give up now. Wendy was in danger. And at this rate, her life would soon be at risk. Then, I caught a smell which was wafting through the area. It was a foul smell. At once I was driven into a state of even more panic, and even more when I realised where that smell was coming from.

Smoke was slowly rising from the thorns, carrying the smell up within them.

A realisation struck me as though I had just noticed a sword pointed at my throat.

~~~

These thorns were poisonous.

~~~

My thought process was slowing down, and my physical movement as well. It was becoming increasingly difficult to hold my stand against the growing obstacles. No matter how hard I tried to break free of their grasp, I couldn't move any more than just budge. But one thing hadn't occurred to me yet. I was too busy concentrating on physically getting us out of the mess that I had completely forgotten about something that might have been the solution: it was Magic. I hadn't realised, in all of what was going on, that I could use my Magic to make the situation a little less impossible.

Even though my hands were completely bound the thorns around them, and I could hardly move them an inch from where they were stuck, I continued to try to break free. After having drained myself completely of my physical strength, I made one last final push to activate my magic. I screamed out in frustration and pain.