CHAPTER 14

Standing outside the gates, Max observed the Wilson house under the rosy hue casted upon it

No matter how strongly he wanted to run past those iron barriers, to get back to the place he called his home after the chaotic night, something was restricting his steps.

Flashes of the events that took place within those boundaries just a few hours ago haunted him. He was scared of the ghastly sight that awaited him inside.

He turned around at the sound of the windshield lowering. Behind him stood Morgan's shining black car, immaculate and flawless- highlighting all curves and contours. On their ride back home, she mentioned that she liked to address her car by the name Fitheach and how it had been with her since the beginning.

Her words were far too mysterious to be conceived correctly at once.

"Won't you go in?" Morgan asked, poking her head out of the window.

Julie sat in the backseat, and looking at Max she very well understood what was going on in his mind, what conflict was going on within him. All along the ride, she kept holding Max's hand to comfort him, to comfort her own self. Even Max didn't mind that. He appreciated that gesture; in fact, he appreciated everything she had done for him. If only he could voice what he actually felt a little better, he would have let her know.

"It's fine, Max, go in," Morgan insisted.

Even though Morgan had assured them that everyone was safe in their houses, the lack of details in her side of the story was not convincing at all. 'I'll explain everything to you guys at school' was all that she had to cover up for the questions Max and Julie threw on her.

"So you seriously mean that Kevin's in there?" Max asked once again.

"For the gazillionth time, yes, he is sound asleep in his room right now with no memory of what happened a night before," she said graciously with a slow nod. "I'd love to meet the Wilsons, but a guest at this time would not be welcomed I guess." She let out a petite laughter. "And I need to drop Annabelle home too."

Max looked back at Julie rolling her eyes in annoyance. She did look frightening, and Morgan did not leave any opportunity to mock about it.

"See you at school." Morgan gave that last smile, and the car zoomed past him.

He stood there for a moment before turning towards those large, curb gates- clear six feet tall and made of twisted black rods. At the end some were curled in convoluted patterns, giving a chance to the opportunist spiders to settle in there.

He lifted the latch and then swung the gates which went sliding away with a creaking noise. But instead of moving towards the door, he promptly turned to the other side.

With a heavy heart, he walked into the same spot where his worst birthday party took place last night, the backyard. The sun was already up and in that reddish yellow light, he scanned the area around him.