CHAPTER 2

It was lunch break

It was lunch break. Max had eaten his lunch and was sitting there alone, lost in his own thoughts. He was still thinking about the dream he had the previous night. Dreams are usually forgotten soon after waking up, but this one was stuck in his head. The thing that disturbed him the most was that he might actually be related to it. His uncle, Jonathan, had told him that his parents died in a car accident, but never mentioned that he was in the car too.

'Was that child really me? And what the heck were they running from?' Max thought as his brows knit.

Racking his brains over something he might never actually find out was giving him a terrible headache. He decided not to think about it anymore, as he started digging his bag for the diary he and Kevin had taken from Shane's library, yesterday.

He had just taken it out when he heard someone approaching him. He quickly kept the book back into his bag as he was not ready to enter into a whole new awkward situation.

"Hey what were you reading kid?" asked William. He was a huge, chubby guy with orange curly hair. His extremely fair face was covered with pimples all over his cheeks. Even the T-shirt could not completely cover his protruding tummy.

"First thing, I have a name which you know and second thing, I don't feel the necessity of telling you what I am doing," Max muttered without even looking at him.

"So now you have grown up kiddo. Then why don't you come and join us?" asked William with a grin on his face, pointing towards his group sitting at the last bench. There were four guys sitting back there. Alex was there too. He had a scar on his right eyebrow, and his eyes were cold.

Max never felt that Alex was bad at all, he was just different, like Max was. He too didn't seem to have any friends. The difference was only that Max was a gentle, sweet-looking guy who was easily picked on while on the other hand, Alex was tough. He had a scar on his right eyebrow, which kinda enhanced his cold look. Rather than messing with him, the bullies made sure he stayed in on their side.

"Nah, I am just fine here."

"Oh come on! You just said you are not a kid anymore."

Max stood up to leave since it was useless to argue. William rushed to the door and blocked the path.

"This is getting ridiculous. Let me go!" said Max tightening his fist.

"Or else what? " he pushed Max.

It was not like he couldn't fight, he just didn't want, or at least that's what he thought.

William's face turned red with anger. A boy from his group who was sitting back there and watching it all stood up and came towards them. His intention was not to cool down the heated matter but to support his mate in bullying Max.

"If you really want to go then you have to hand over that book to us," said Jacob.

"What? Are you kidding me? Why should I let him go for that stupid book?" said William turning towards Jacob.