Prologue.

Prologue

Author's note: this is a prologue summarizing the years before Severus meets his daughter, and before she attends Hogwarts. Shown below is a picture of Calliope Snape (1) and Jane McKinnon (2) (Calliope's mother) during this time period to help with your imaginations. Enjoy (: P.S please note that I had to switch a tiny bit of the time frames from the real wizarding world events. Bellatrix was actually sent to Azkaban in 1982, but in this world, she is imprisoned in 1984.

~ ~ ~

On a cold and dreary night in September of 1981, Severus Snape sat in his study reading his books, as he did every night. Nighttime was the only time of day that allowed him to relax due to his tiresome schedule. He was approaching his first year of teaching at his alma mater, Hogwarts, and on top of that, he was now working as a double agent for both Dumbledore and Lord Voldemort.

It had been raining for what seemed like weeks on Spinner's End. To Severus, it calmed him to read his book, sip on his fire whisky and watch the raindrops fall slowly down the windowpane. By nine o'clock, Severus had finished his second glass of fire whisky and was 40 pages away from finishing his book titled 'Spellman's Syllabary' when he heard a knock at his door. He groaned as he placed his book on the coffee table next to him and made his way to the front door. Severus opened the door as a gust of cold air hit his face causing him to squint his eyes. As he reopened them, he was met face to face with Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts.

"Whatever it is I must do, surely can wait till morning sir." Severus calmly stated.

It seemed as if Severus was constantly running back and forth from his home to Lord Voldemort's location to catch the headmaster up on whatever the Dark Lord was planning.

"I'm not here to give you a task Severus" The headmaster explained with a sorrowful look on his face. This caught Severus' attention.

"Jane McKinnon is dead" Dumbledore stated simply "Rodolphus and Bellatrix Lestrange killed her 2 weeks ago."

Severus stood in the doorway with a blank expression. He didn't know what to think.

Severus met Jane in his 6th year of Hogwarts. Soon after his fallout with his first love, Lily Potter, a snarky brunette Gryffindor girl caught his attention during potions class. Severus was hesitant at first about interacting with this girl due to his last failure with a Gryffindor, but soon found out to his surprise that this girl was much different. Over the course of a few weeks, the two became inseparable. Although Severus knew that Lily Potter would always have a place in his heart, Jane also created a space as well, which resulted in the young Hogwarts students eventually falling in love. Severus shared all of his "firsts" with Jane and he truly believed they would remain together forever. Upon graduating from Hogwarts, Severus became clueless of what his purpose in life truly was. Although Jane hinted towards the two joining Dumbledore's secret organization, the Order of the Phoenix, to combat Lord Voldemort, Severus found himself leaning more towards joining Voldemort and his Death Eaters. It was true and always will be true that Severus loved Jane dearly, but his lack of confidence in himself convinced him that he was undeserving of Jane's love. August 27, 1979 was the last time he looked Jane in the eyes.

"I believe you deserved to know" The old headmaster said with despair in his eyes as he turned to walk away.

Severus watched as Dumbledore disappeared into the rainy night before shutting the door.

The thirty days that followed that dreadful night became increasingly disheartening as the days went by. Severus couldn't understand how not seeing a person for 2 years could make grieving a person even more heart wrenching. He sat in silence most days, staring outside the window as people passed by. He did not feel sadness. He believed that shutting off the feeling of sadness for all those years in his life made it impossible for him to feel that feeling ever again.