18 - Fear

A few weeks have passed and soon, the Lantern Rite Festival finally came. The harbor was as bustling as ever, rushing about to prepare for the festive event made to honor the Adepti. For Y/n, it was even more special, since it was her first time participating in the event after so many centuries of being away from the safe harbor.

Though the days filled with brilliant lanterns were meaningful to her, it was the complete opposite to a certain Adeptus, who found the lively crowds uneasy. Being one of Y/n's closest friends, he could only suffer under the insisting pleads and irresistible expressions she made.

"Almond tofu? Pretty please?" She blinked with pouty lips, and Xiao flinched at the provocative face. He was not easily swayed by women but Y/n was different.

"The fact that you never go and enjoy yourself really bugs me! You deserve to be happy!" Y/n shouts in enthusiasm, causing Xiao to lean back in his chair. "After all, this is the least I can do to relieve your pain..." Her back slumps a bit.

After discovering hints of Xiao's past from Rex Lapis and multiple guesses, Y/n concluded that it was his duty to carry the pain along with him as he fought his demons. If no one could interfere, then she wanted to at least lift some of his burdens.

"Fine... Just don't go anywhere without me..." He looks away. Y/n smiled when she caught his light blush. She knew what his words truly meant.

"Don't abandon me in the crowds, am I right? You can count on me with that!" She cheers bluntly, a flustered Xiao spluttering at her interpretation.

"That is not what I meant!"

"Oh, silly you! Of course, that's what you meant!" Y/n drags him out of the inn and for the first time, the Yaksha felt his blood rushing in excitement. The lanterns shone beautifully, pairing nicely with the warm color scheme of Liyue. He was surprised at the new sensation, closing his eyes to appreciate it.

Part of the reason why he felt so happy was because of Y/n, and he was grateful for that. Even if he couldn't obtain her love, he was content with her presence.

As long as she stayed near him.

"Hey, look! Dragon beard candy! It's been so long..." Y/n squeals with the heart of a sugar-toothed child as she rushes over to the candy stall. She brought two of them before handing one to Xiao and taking his hand at the same time.

"What?" Xiao blushed under the warm light of the lanterns. His gaze couldn't help but linger at Y/n's tight hold.

"I don't want to accidentally lose you. This is for safety measures." She smiles before enjoying the candy. "Mmmn! You should eat it quickly! There's so much food out here!"

Xiao stood in his spot for a while, staring deep in thought at his candy. Y/n looked back at him in confusion when she noticed how he wouldn't budge.

"... I don't know how many times I will say this but... Thank you." Xiao musters a smile, barely detectable from the human eyes- but Y/n caught it. It was a breathtaking sight, one that she was sure she would never forget.

"We are friends, remember?" Y/n beams back.

-

"Hmm... This device is quite peculiar in appearance. May I ask what this is?" A man holds up a long metallic object that slid in his hand easily. "How does this work?"

"Ah, that is a switchblade--" The shop owner suddenly paused when the man pushed up the button and the sharp knife came out, smoothly slicing the flesh of his palm. He had accidentally held it upside down.

"Oh no! Quickly!" The owner sweats and passed bundles of tissues to him. Rex Lapis smiles thoughtfully as his blood trails down his skin like a thin waterfall.

"Interesting. Looks like the weapons have advanced greatly since I wasn't here." He was about to bring his hand to his lips when a girl suddenly cried out and grabbed his hand.

"Master! You are hurt..."

Rex Lapis was surprised. Not many had shown concern for him since he was once a god that brought carnage to evil beings. Everyone knew he was strong and capable, and thus, many thought he wouldn't need anyone to care for him.

"It is only a small scratch." He chuckles, patting Y/n's head with his uninjured hand.

"It pains me to see you get hurt." She says seriously before taking out some bandages from her pocket. She wrapped it expertly around the palm and Rex Lapis watched silently.

The words itched his throat. How he wished to say them outright, in front of all the people in Liyue.

"Master. Please allow us to accompany you." Xiao walks up behind Y/n with a bow.

"If that is what you would like to do then sure. Just don't call me Master... I haven't created a human alias yet so call me Sir for now."

"Yes, sir!" Both Adepti exclaimed. They roamed around the harbor, Y/n trying every food sample from the stalls while Xiao and the Archon followed behind. Rex Lapis began scanning his surroundings and found some valuable minerals that caught his eye.

"Now this..." He was about to touch a perfectly carved Noctilucous Jade when suddenly, a trio of women approached him in interest.

"Oh, what a handsome gentleman we have here. Care to spend some time with us?" One of them smirks, tilting her head suggestively.

Rex Lapis could only heave a sigh deep inside before smiling kindly. "Sorry but I have more important matters to attend to." He continues to stare at the jade with keen eyes.

"Oh... Don't be like that. We are new here. Why don't you show us around?" Another girl pressed herself against the god in disguise. Y/n and Xiao could only watch, fighting the urge to stand up for their Master. However, because they were ordered to keep his identity a secret, they could not risk stepping in.

"Yes! We've been wanting to find a place to stay as well..." The third woman took his other arm and looked up at him with doe eyes. They were all pretty in their way and that was what concerned Y/n. She knew her Master wouldn't fall for them easily but it still hurts to see him slipping away from her grasp.

"... If you insist." Rex Lapis gives up, apologetically looking at Y/n. She nods with a weary smile before standing in place. Her Master leaves the two and guides the foreign ladies to a hotel while trying to avoid unnecessary conversation.

"Master sure is popular..." Y/n mumbles, watching as his broad back slowly disappears in the crowd.

"...hic...hmf..."

"Y/n..." Xiao's mouth was slightly agape as he stares at the trembling girl next to her. "Don't cry...please..." His hand was left hanging mid-air. He was unsure of what to do.

"I'm so pathetic... But I can't- hic... I can't help it... I'm scared... It's like he's leaving me..." She cries, her head leaning against Xiao's shoulder.

"I can't bear it any longer... What do I do, Xiao?"