𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

𝐈t had been a little over a week since Bruce had adopted Elisa and she still remained nervous and skittish around everyone but Bruce and Alfred, though Dick had been her a snack once and she seemed less nervous in that moment.

It had occurred to them that she was traumatized but they chalked it up to her being nervous. They didn't actually take it into account until they caught her playing with her card game (mythomagic she called it) and writing letters about her day but she never said who they were for.

But, in the end, they brushed it off because they wanted her to feel safe and cared for. Which led to their current situation.

"Who is this?" Talia Al Ghul held out a card for Elisa to see, which elicited an excited gasp from  her when she did.

"That's Hades! God of the dead, King of the Underworld!" Elisa's voice got loud in her excitement and a smile beamed on her face. "He's one of the strongest cards! Alongside Poseidon and Zeus!"

Elisa's beaming smile sent her heart fluttering, she desired to protect her so badly. "My favorite card is-"

The four boys and Bruce held dumbfounded looks on their faces as they looked between their newest charge, their little sister who had just begun to open up to them, and Talia Al Ghul.

"Hello Beloved, Hello Damian." Her green eyes locked with Bruce's blue before connecting to the green eyes much like hers with mischief in them. "Sorry about walking right in but you really should have better security."

Elisa blinked, seeing the wariness and caution on her adoptive father's face. "Aren't you and Miss Talia friends? She told me so!" She pouted before tugging at Talia's hand. "Right, Miss Talia?"

Talia smiled at her before running her hand through her hair. "Of course, my precious girl." Tauntingly, she stared at the object of her affection. "Elisa would never lie, so that makes us friends."

Bruce's clenched his hand into a fist but relaxed as Elisa's curious eyes landed on him. "Mister Bruce?"

He opened his mouth to answer (what, he isn't entirely sure.) but suddenly the door opened and Alfred entered. "Miss Elisa, I have brought snacks as requested."

"Snacks...?" Damian spoke out for the first time, confused.

Elisa's head bobbed up and down rapidly. "Mhm! Once, long ago! Mama told me the rules of good hospitality are that you should be nice and offer your guest whatever they want." Her eyes drew towards Alfred. "I did good right?"

Jason felt his heart clench at the question. She shouldn't have to ask if she did good or not. No child should.

Alfred felt sympathy as well but smiled at her gently and agreed. "Yes, Miss."

"Good Job, Ellie." Dick smiled at her and she visibly brightened before taking a Madeleine and biting into it.

Talia leaned over and pressed a kiss to Elisa's forehead before getting up. "I'll see you again later, my precious girl."

Talia walked past Bruce, lips curled upwards before walking out, he followed after her.

"Why did you come here? Why did you even bother getting in Elisa's good graces?" He asked her, frown deepening.

Talia whirled around to look at him, and she gazed at him intently for a few minutes before responding. "Father and I have been keeping an eye on Elisa Di Angelo for the past few years. You do know who her father is, right?"

"I had my suspicions."

"Consider them confirmed then. We are fond of her, thought I'd establish dominance over her. She may be your adoptive daughter but she is mine first. The moment our eyes laid on hers, she was our precious girl."

Talia walked out the door, not without the words of "be careful, beloved." Directed towards him.

Bruce could hear Elisa's joyful laughter and the boys arguing in her room. He heaved a sigh and rubbed his face.

It's fine, I'll protect her. We'll protect her.