THE FERMI PARADOX

Where Is Everyone? Are We Alone In The Universe? These questions have been the main topic for every Astrophysicist and Theorist for generations, even since the first civilizations that had sprung in Mesopotamia (Middle East).

Enrico Fermi

Enrico Fermi

Before we dive into the Kardashev Scale, we must first understand the Fermi Paradox and the scientist behind it. Enrico Fermi, an Italian Physicist who was awarded The Nobel Prize for Physics for his work on the artificial radioactivity produced by neutrons, and for nuclear reactions brought about by slow neutrons, and has been referred to as "The Architect of the Nuclear Age". He also invented the first nuclear reactor after WWII, he even had an element named after him.

His discovery of the Fermi Paradox was also the most extraordinary events in history according to NASA. The Fermi Paradox seeks to answer the question of where the aliens are. Given that our star (Sol) and Earth are part of a young planetary system compared to the rest of the universe, and that interstellar travel might be fairly easy to achieve. The theory says that Earth should have been visited by aliens already, but the only proof that we have of that is being hidden by our governments. Enrico theorized with a casual lunchtime remark in 1950. The implications have had extraterrestrial researchers wondering in the decades since. According to the Search For Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) "Fermi realized that any civilization with a modest amount of rocket technology and an immodest amount of imperial incentive could rapidly colonize the entire galaxy. Within ten million years, every star system could be brought under the wing of empire. Ten million years may sound long, but in fact it's quite short compared with the age of the galaxy, which is roughly ten thousand million years. Colonization of the Milky Way should be a quick exercise."
Although, Fermi reportedly made the initial remark, but he died in 1954. Publication fell to other people, such as Michael Hart, who wrote an article titled "An Explanation for the Absence of Extraterrestrials on Earth" in the Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) Quarterly Journal in 1975. Theoretically, this is the first such paper to explore the Fermi paradox, although this claim is a bit hard to prove. "We observe that no intelligent beings from outer space are now present on Earth," (Except for the ones in Area 51 in Nevada, which have recently confirmed the footage of UFO sightings but let's not get too political about it) Hart wrote in the abstract. "It is suggested that this fact can best be explained by the hypothesis that there are no other advanced civilizations in our galaxy." He noted, however, that more research in biochemistry, planetary formation and atmospheres was needed to better narrow down the answer.