Chapter 8

Caden paused, confusion momentarily showing on his face. The color slowly started draining from his cheeks, making him sickly pale. After a few agonizing seconds, he said something.

"They? What are you talking about?"

"You just said they," I said tentatively. I knew I was treading on thin ice. I had to be extremely careful, or one wrong move could put me in danger. It wasn't some silly secret we were talking about, but a murder.

"No, I-"

"You're a really bad liar, Caden."

He opened his mouth to say something, but he seemed to decide against it.

"How did you know that happened?" I asked, changing the subject to something less awkward.

He sighed, knowing he'd lost the previous battle.

"Someone with that spider tattoo killed my sister," he said, looking down at the floor. "It happened just a couple weeks ago."

I instantly felt a surge of empathy. I remembered the first couple weeks once I had witnessed my mother's death.

"I'm so sorry," I said, taking a deep breath. "It was my mom."

We sat there in silence for most of the time left on the bus. Although I said nothing, my mind was racing. Right before my bus stop, I came up with a confusing question.

"How did you find out there were multiple people involved if only one person killed your sister?" I asked.

The bus came to a sudden stop. A few people started exiting the bus.

Caden looked around. "It's your stop."

"Answer me!" I said.

"Zoë, you have to go!"

I watched the last few people head for the bus door. I gritted my teeth with frustration. It was like he was purposely avoiding the question.

I huffed out of frustration and walked out of the bus.