Chapter 71: Snow Day

"What on earth are you calling me at 2am for? I'm exhausted, Pepper!"

"No school! It's a snow day! We never get snow days, Zoe! The storm got pretty bad a couple of hours ago, and there's a lot of ice on the roads, and so now we don't have to go to school!"

"..."

"Isn't that great?"

"I'm going to kill you. It's the Winter Break. We aren't having school ANYWAY!"

"I know! Isn't it great? A double whammy!"

"Pepper, quit going to McDonald's at 2am just to call me and tell me something stupid! Get some sleep! Aren't you tired from the party?"

"Of course not, Zo! The party gave me more energy!"

"Go to bed!"

"YOU go to bed!"

"What do you think I'm trying to do?!"

"... Yell at me."

"Yeah, well... you deserve it. Goodnight."

"Don't you mean, good morn—"

"Bye."

Zoe plopped her phone onto her lap and let out a small huff. Well... so much for getting some well-deserved beauty sleep. She only wondered how Pepper had the energy to keep on going. She was pretty sure the events of the party would knock everyone out, but... this was Pepper. Of course she'd still have some energy left. She'd also bet money that Vinnie was right there with her.

"Hmm... Well... I suppose I could go over the plans since I'm awake now." She suddenly perked up at the idea. "Yes! It will be fabulous! I cannot wait to tell the others about it! I better get to work."

"Dad, be careful!"

"You worry too much, Rusty. It's just a little bit of ice."

"No, it's a lot a bit of ice—pardon my grammar—and it's not safe for you to walk around here without snow boots on. You know better than that!" Russell face-palmed, feeling himself cringe every time his dad took a step on the icy driveway in his slippers. "I swear, if you break something—"

"Rusty, relax. You know, you remind me too much of your mother. She always got on my case for stuff like this, too. So worked up over my shenanigans... Heh, if she saw me now, trying to shovel the snow out of the driveway in my slippers, she'd send me marching right back inside," Jerry shook his head and chuckled at the thought.

"Rightly so!" Russell huffed as he propped his shovel up and placed a hand on his hip. He rose a brow at his dad, wondering if he'd go inside on his own without having to say anything. Though, it didn't seem like his dad would be changing his shoes any time soon. The boy loudly cleared his throat and awaited some kind of reaction or response from the other.

"What?... Oh, come on, Rusty. Don't be like that. Look, I'm an experienced snow-shoveler and I can definitely do this," Jerry reassured. He quickly ran a hand through his hair and slowly shuffled along the driveway, clutching his shovel tightly. "You need to get to workin'. Don't mind me."

Russell held a slight smirk on his face as he watched his dad suddenly slide about halfway across the way, nearly falling over after such a statement. "Good one, dad. You know, I have a feeling if mom were here, she'd just think you're a complete doofus. Haha!"

Not long after that remark, Russell had leaned against his shovel, slipped on the ice, and face-planted into the large pile of snow that was collected off to the side. The only sound that could be heard was the sound of Jerry's hearty laughter.