Chapter 57: What to Say?

"Are you gonna chicken out today, Russell?" Zoe chuckled as she watched the other turn around in his seat. Russell rolled his eyes and ran a hand through his hair, letting out a sigh.

"I hope I don't... I think I've waited way too long to ask her out," he shook his head and proceeded to reach into his backpack to grab his chemistry notebook. "I've said that way too many times before, though," he quickly muttered to himself.

Russell really wished he was more confident in asking people out... well, specifically asking Minka out, really. He always wondered how it came so easily to Zoe. She was a natural at playing it cool, flirty, and just being confident in her abilities. Zoe was unafraid of rejection (even though in private, she doesn't take it well) and she knows how to have fun on any sort of date with any type of person.

Zoe cleared her throat, which snapped Russell out of his thoughts. He glanced back at Zoe, then noticed she was motioning towards the door. Minka was walking in.

Russell sat up in his seat and straightened out his bow tie. This is it, Ferguson. Get it together. You're running out of time.

"Hey Minka!" He cheerily spoke as he watched Minka plop down in the seat beside him. "Doing well?"

"Yeah," Minka answered unenthusiastically. She took off her backpack and began digging through it to get the right materials out for the class. Russell rose a brow, immediately noticing that she didn't seem like her usual self at the moment.

"So uhh... got any fun weekend plans you're excited about?" Russell leaned in towards her and grinned widely. This wasn't exactly the conversation he had planned on, but he'd still try his best to work with it.

When Minka turned to look at Russell, he was much closer than she had anticipated, and she froze right in front of his face. She slowly rose a brow at him, and then both of their cheeks started to darken.

"Not really. Maybe Cheep Cheep and I will do something fun. I don't know," She spoke and shrugged as she backed up from Russell's face a bit. That was close, she thought. "Weekend is a bit of a long way away."

"Yeah, that's true. It is only Monday," Russell exhaled softly and slumped his shoulders. Now this really wasn't going as he had planned. Why was he beating around the bush? Why this pointless conversation?

When the orange-haired teen glanced over his shoulder, he was given the look of annoyance from Zoe. She looked disappointed at him and shook her head. Russell shrugged at her, then saw that she motioned for him to keep trying. After letting out a quick sigh, Russell sat up in his seat and decided that Zoe was right. He may as well try until he gives up or if Minka rejects him.

"M-Minka?" He began. Uh oh... He thought. The stuttering... Stop stuttering.

Minka sat up properly in her seat, clasped her hands together, and then turned her head slightly in Russell's direction to indicate she was listening to him.

"I um..." he blinked. Do it, Ferguson.

"Yes?" She rose a brow.

"Y-You..." Just ask her.

"Uh-Huh?"

Russell paused. This really wasn't going as he had planned. He could just feel Zoe's eyes burning the back of his head, and the utter dread of disappointment surrounded him.

Minka noticed how silent and red in the face Russell got, and let out a quiet, frustrated sigh. Again with this strange behavior? Why does he act like he can't talk to me? Does he hate me even more than before or something?