Chapter 22: Fireworks

The day seemed to go by in a blur. Everybody, no matter where they currently were, was having a great time. Penny Ling enjoyed tagging along with Sugar Sprinkles and Buttercream. They splurged on all sorts of treats, and played lots of fun, competitive games with each other. Pepper surprisingly enjoyed her time with Delilah and her other friends; she didn't realize how daring the fashionista truly was. It was impressive. Russell and Minka made it through the funhouse together and had a great time, despite how spooky it seemed. They shared some ice cream together, and Russell did his best to try and win something for Minka on one of the rigged games. Instead, Minka pulled through and won something for Russell. Digby thrived on impressing Zoe with beating the rigged games as best as he could. By the end of the night, Zoe's arms were full of prizes won by her boyfriend. As for Sunil and Vinnie, they attempted some of the scarier rides, but didn't last very long. Instead, they stuck to playing some easy and fun games with each other, and would ride the more entertaining rides.

Russell started texting everybody to come and meet in the middle of the fairgrounds to get spots for the fireworks show. This was the big, final event that would wrap up their perfect day at the fair.

"Hey, I've got one ticket left! I think I can use it to get us a snack! Wanna share a funnel cake or cotton candy or somethin'?" Vinnie smiled and nudged his friend.

"Are you sure Vinnie? It's your last one. I have one ticket left too. We could use mine," Sunil insisted as he reached into his pocket.

"Nah don't worry. I got this. There ain't really anything else I want to do around here anyways. Sooo, what will it be?"

"Hmm... cotton candy sounds good," Sunil nodded.

"Great! You wait here and save my spot for the fireworks show and I'll go get the goods," Vinnie pat Sunil's shoulder and then waved at him as he headed towards the food truck. Sunil waved back, and then looked to the sky.

So peaceful, he thought. He was so glad they could all come to the fair and have fun. He was having such a good time so far.

"Suni! There you are!" A voice called out to him, snapping him out of his daze.

"Huh? I am here?" Sunil looked around, then watched as Delilah approached him. He tilted his head and immediately felt the butterflies in his stomach. "Delilah? W-What are you doing here??"

"You want to ride on the Ferris wheel? I see you've got a ticket~" she purred and pulled out her own ticket. "Come on!" Delilah giggled and pulled Sunil away from the gathering crowd of people.

"O-Oh wait! But I—"

"Hurry! The show starts soon!" Delilah smiled and dragged the flustered, blue-haired boy along. She led them to the line that went to the Ferris wheel, and intertwined her fingers with his. Sunil could hear Delilah talking quietly to him, but really, the only sound he could hear was the sound of his heart beating super fast against his chest.

Vinnie had gotten a blue and pink mixed cotton candy for him and Sunil to share. He glanced around, wondering where his best friend went off to. Weird. He spotted his other friends standing around and waiting for the show to start, then walked towards them.

"Hey, anybody seen Sunil?" Vinnie asked a couple of them. Pepper lowered her funny glow-in-the-dark glasses and thought for a moment.

"Hmm... sorry bud. Is that cotton candy for me though?" She grinned and tried to reach for it. Vinnie quickly backed up and chuckled.

"Hey! Hey. No. It's for me and Sunil."

"Oh?" She smirked slightly. "Well, sorry. I haven't seen him around."

Russell glanced around, also curious to where their friend had disappeared to. "I hope we find him soon. Wouldn't want him to miss the show."

Vinnie then looked to Minka expectantly, but she simply shook her head, and then intertwined her fingers with Russell's. That caused Russell's face to immediately heat up.

Vinnie sighed and nodded. "Aww...Well, okay. I'll ask around then."

He then walked towards the others. "Anybody seen Sunil?" He asked the small group of friends.

"Hmm... nahhh," Sugar Sprinkles shook her head.

"Sorry!" Buttercream shrugged.

"Sorry Vinnie. I didn't see him," Penny Ling frowned softly. "Hope you find him."

"Actually... I think I saw them in the Ferris wheel line," Zoe tapped her chin.

"Them?" Vinnie repeated and tilted his head in confusion.

"Sunil and Delilah," Digby confirmed, and smiled sheepishly.

Vinnie rose a brow, wondering how and why those two went to the Ferris Wheel together, and he glanced down at his cotton candy. He didn't even realize she was here at all. "Well, Alright. I'll look over there then. Thanks guys."

Sunil and Delilah were finally allowed onto the ride, and settled down in the seat rather close to each other. "O-Oh... Delilah, shouldn't we be with our friends in the crowd for the fireworks show?"

"Shhh... I'm gettin' us the best view there is, Suni~" Delilah placed a finger on Sunil's mouth. "See?" She then pointed as the fireworks started going off.

Sunil looked around, then jumped when the first firework popped. "Oh! Oh..." he gasped softly. His eyes widened as he watched each individual firework explode in a colorful burst. The fireworks were rather mesmerizing To watch. The Ferris wheel took them a little higher, and Sunil nervously glanced down at the crowd of people below. "We certainly are... higher... aren't we?" He chuckled nervously.

"Suni, don't look down. Look at me," Delilah smiled softly. She gently lifted the other's chin and gazed into his eyes.

Sunil stared right back at her and felt like he was going to pass out. The fireworks started becoming background noise to him, and the sound of his heart pounding against his chest was, once again, the most prominent sound to him. She slowly blinked at him a few times, a curious smile on her face. The different colored lights from the firework blasts reflected off of Delilah, and she was as colorful, beautiful, and as bright as can be. Both of them could feel their cheeks heat up, and Delilah found herself scooting closer to Sunil. He didn't budge.

The Ferris wheel took them all the way to the very top of the ride, and everything stopped. Their lips had met. The fireworks were louder and more vibrant than ever before. Sunil's face reddened all the way to the tips of his ears as he stared, wide-eyed at Delilah. She had her eyes closed, enjoying this moment with him. Their hands interlocked even tighter, and Sunil visibly relaxed and slowly closed his eyes.

Down below, Vinnie stared up at the two in horror.