010. Cruel Intentions

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN.
cruel intentions.
( paper crane no. 801. )

MINT DIDN'T GIVE JAMES a moment's thought to process her arrival.

"Alright, out with it."

In a blink of an eye, Wednesday morning arrived, and Mint found herself in the company of James Potter, unwillingly thrust into some unknown talk, which would nonetheless consequently and undoubtedly spiral into another argument, and leave Mint fuming hot within her core and retreating to class with a headache. She wasn't really doing herself any favours, but there was a reason the phrase 'curiosity killed the cat' ended with 'but satisfaction brought it back' - she'd be satisfied after discovering just what this mystery talk was all about. But knowing James, she knew it wouldn't be something she'd be particularly delighted to hear. Knowing James, she knew the information he'd spill would bring more stress than it let out, like staining a white carpet with red wine and throwing another over the top to disguise the stain. And knowing this, Mint had to be careful.

That previous day, she'd had her routined check-up with the healers of St. Mungo's, having floo-ed in with their mandatory equipment required to properly assess the state of Mint's heart, to check if everything was a-okay and functioning to keep her stable, or if she needed an increase or decrease in medication dosages. Luckily, she didn't need any changes in intake, causing Mint to almost punch the air in relief. If she had to drink any more goblin piss than she already took daily, she'd rather flatline. Ultimately, the nurses found Mint's heart carrying more stress than usual, with the rest of her body forfeiting for the heaviness and she was told to take it easy over the upcoming weeks at risk of increasing sensitivity on the muscle and making matters worse. It seemed she wasn't the only one stressed, but, hey, they gave her a lollipop afterwards.

So, with both Mint's heart and mind distressed, meeting up with the one person who likely caused the sudden weight on the two biggest factors of her body, was most likely not a good idea.

Albeit, as they say, curiosity killed the cat.

She slung her bag on the seat before lowering herself onto the seat opposite James. It came as a bit of a shock to see him there first, but perhaps, there were things she misjudged about him - or, perhaps, she'd misjudged this whole meeting altogether.

James got himself comfortable in his seat.

"I want to make you a proposal."

Or, as it appeared, she hadn't misjudged this conversation at all.

"A what?"

"A consideration," he repaired, providing some clarity. But Mint understood him correctly the first.

"Of?"

"Of an idea, McKinney."

She rested her entwined hands on the table, confused, "And that meaning?"