9. Walls Broken

9. Walls Broken

Waking up the next morning and going to school as if I’ve read nothing in the diaries and had nothing on my mind was difficult. My head throbbed, a pounding headache on the verge of forming, each time I thought about the diaries and the box. I tried to get it out of my head, but as I moved throughout the day, going class to class barely speaking to anyone, I found it difficult.

How could Lexi know my parents when I didn’t know them? Grace refused to talk about them and answer any of the questions I had. Hell, I didn’t even know if my parents were alive and didn’t want me or were dead. And Google proved to be no help whatsoever. How people found out so much of their ancestry, I didn’t know.

Another worrying thought was the existence vampires. According the diaries, they were real. The monsters I once thought were fictional, laughable creatures were apparently alive and walking amongst us.

But despite the war in my head, raging on about what was real and fictional, if I looked at it in an angle, it all made sense. Ignoring the curiosity behind why I was in a coffin had been easy. But, now that I’ve read the diaries and opened the box, I knew that everything inside made sense. Unrealistic, but nonetheless understandable.

It wasn’t quite enough for me to believe in them, though. My brain screamed at me that it was a load of crock, that someone was pulling a very well thought-out prank. After all, who could write such a story and include so many details?

It was hard to believe, if the prank was true, that Grace would be the one behind it. Logically, it should be her; Grace was the only person who knew my past, my parents and myself better than me. However, within the time I’ve spent with her, I knew that Grace couldn’t have pulled something like that off. She was too frigid. Pranking was completely unlike her.

It brought me back to the whole vampires-exist thing, which was unrealistic yet imaginable. And maybe even believable—but to a certain extent.

I could hardly focus on any of my studies. As much as I tried to listen to the teachers, I couldn’t. My mind was drowning in confusion, constantly thinking about the diaries and the box.

Cole and Greyson knew something was wrong with me. I barely had spoken five words to them the entire day, even going as far as ignoring them.

Eventually, lunch time rolled around. Today, I didn’t have much of an appetite, but I knew Greyson or Cole would yell at me for not eating. If I didn’t want to talk today, they would say, “Fine, all right.” Not eating, though, wouldn’t pass with them.

Choosing a pretzel and cheese sauce with a couple sides of vegetables and fruits with a bottle of lemonade, I began to carry my lunch to the table.

Subconsciously walking to the table, I began to think again of the locket and pictures in the box. The more I thought about Lexi, the more she seemed familiar. The way her hair fell straight against her back, the way her eyes brightened when she smiled in pictures, and the way she’d wrap her arm around me—everything about her seemed familiar the more I thought about Lexi.

Half-way to the table, I froze mid-stride. In that moment, a dam broke in my head. When dams break, it floods. Only, it wasn’t water flooding. It was my memories rushing through. Images flashed in my head, small snippets of things I didn’t remember before. Information spilled, puzzles clicking together.

A noise, a loud thud, had sounded, but it barely registered in my mind. It was too busy being flooded by memories I didn’t have before. Memories that were previously taken away.