ETERNAL RETURN

BOOK INFO

Title: Eternal Return

Author: jaenotorious

Word count: 70.000

Publication date: December 12th 2015

Description: "The idea of eternal return is a mysterious one, and Nietzsche has often perplexed other philosophers with it: to think that everything recurs as we once experienced it, and that the recurrence itself recurs ad infinitum! What does this mad myth signify?" 

Max and Chloe live their lives the only way possible: through Time.

Small note: This is a Life is Strange fan fiction

THE DESCRIPTIONS

Details, details, and details. Details matter. It's not just about writing them, it's about how you write them. Jae—AKA jaenotorious—is, in my opinion, as good as writing descriptions as Stephen King is. Better, in fact, in some aspects.

The way the author compares holding a cup to holding a sword, and picking up a journal to picking up a gun. It's not just a great comparison, but it makes sense when told through the lens of the character's point of view. I don't know how, but Jae keeps coming up with spectacular comparisons. It is driving me nuts, in the best way possible. 

Jae doesn't just talk about hands and chins and stuff, he goes in deeper. From knuckles to the hollow of necks to forehead creases. The deepest of details.

Then there's this; the vagueness within the details themselves, which makes things more intimate.

For instance: Legs brushing against each other. Lips brushing against cheeks. Knuckles grazing against hips. A hitched breath. A kiss. A whisper: "I love you." Then, after a pause: "So, so much." 

See that? That's not Jae's writing, that's me doing a poor imitation of it. But do you see my point? It's not told whose lips are kissing whose cheeks. That's the beauty of it. That vagueness, like a blur, y'know? Like, we're so close to these characters that we can't see who's doing what.

Is that what Jae intended from doing that? IDK. But it's how I feel whenever I read the more intimate moments.

Oh, and the emphasis on certain words, reinforcing the idea deeply into the readers.

Lemme give you an example: She is so, so tired, and she hates that it's still—still—not over yet. When will this be over? When?

See what I mean? There's a rhythm to the sentences. Melodies, too. Like a song.

Another example is this: And there she is, little Max with her little fingers and her little heart, facing the world like she's not at all little, no-sirree.

That second one's actually from the story. It's not a word-for-word copy, but it's got the same idea. Only difference is, Jae's version is better.

And the writing itself! The way the sentences end, and the way they sometimes don't end. It reminds me of Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy, though not always as chaotic. It depends on the characters and their state of mind. When they're thinking, the sentence drags on and on, and when they're too full of emotions to be thinking, the sentence either cuts too shortly, or goes all blurry and vague like I talked about before.