16. Downhill

The first week after that passed relatively uneventfully. 

Angad and I were not still not talking and I had to get used to the new normal. There was only so much I could do to get him to give me a chance to explain myself or apologize. The first two or three days were crushing but then it got easier and easier to pretend like nothing was wrong. 

Yesterday when we went out as a group to get some food Angad even sat next to me for a few seconds and passed me the salt shaker. To anyone else, nothing might seem out of place but I knew the depth of the rift this incident had caused between us. 

He barely glanced at me and purposely tried to avoid skin to skin contact. I thanked him and he nodded. Outwardly he was all smiles and politeness, inwardly he was cold and firm on his decision to keep things professional. 

It was difficult for me to admit this but I missed us. 

It was so easy to be myself around Angad that his behaviour over the week had caused me more pain than I could have imagined. Sure there were so many others who were equally fun, supportive and just nice to be around but our hour-long practice sessions had become such a huge part of my routine that I often found myself going back and just sitting on the stage all by myself. 

I would read my book, journal or write songs there, reminiscing about the times we goofed around because that was how we spent half the time before everyone else joined us for the group rehearsals. 

As we walked into college after our short drive because Siddharth needed cigarettes I caught myself thinking of our little picnic we had that day after our rehearsal. It was so perfect. Was this the same man who had been thoughtful enough to remember my coffee order and get me doughnuts? Because now he refused to even look at me until absolutely necessary. 

Something had to go wrong after all. Things had been going great for me for too long. Seemed too good to be true. 

I sighed and said goodbyes to everybody. I had a few missed calls from Smriti but I decided I could just talk to her in class since that was where I was headed. 

***

I knew something was wrong the moment I walked into the classroom. Sure people looked at me when I walked in but something about today was different. I could hear an increase in the buzz of whispered conversation melting into each other. People were straight-up staring at me and many were giggling?

Did I have something on my face? I should probably get back to the washroom and check. 

Smriti wasn't in class yet so I placed my bag on one of the empty benches and decided to leave. 

I knew the people in my class by their faces but I didn't know all their names. The boy sitting behind that bench grinned at me in a very weird manner. I furrowed my brows in confusion. Usually, nobody talked to me unless it was for official department business so this was new. The buzz grew louder and more people were laughing now. 

Seriously what was it? I stood there absolutely puzzled. Was I missing the big joke? 

I looked around to make sure it was just me and yes, everyone was staring at me. 

"What is it?" I demanded out loud finally fed up with the grins, stares and whispers.

"Meera!" came a panicked voice from the doorway of the classroom. 

I looked up to find Smriti panting and holding on to the door. Nirav appeared behind her and he had the same panicked expression on his face. My heart started thudding in my chest and I had this foreboding feeling that more things were about to go wrong.