"The Black Plague"

The Black Plague claims #2 Ash Barty in the Semifinals of the US Open. The headline is splashed all over my phone news. "Testing Testing... Martha Black would you please speak into the mic." I was sitting at the press conference, looking down at my thumb and picking at the blister that had formed.

"Martha Black speaking, excited to talk with you all tonight," I say, sitting straighter in my chair.

I looked over to see my mother nodding her head at me, her arms crossed. Her words kept echoing in my head, "Remember what I always say, sponsors like a likeable player."

I turned my attention to the microphone in front of me, waiting for the head of the press conference to line the interviewers up so I could finish and start preparing for the finals. As I waited, I started running possible answers in my head. Because of my win tonight, I have officially gained enough points to move into the Top 5 in the WTA, an accomplishment I had been dreaming of since I first picked up a racquet.

Lost in my thoughts, I let out a gasp as I peel the skin off my thumb, clenching my teeth as I watch the blister start to bleed. I look up, all eyes on me.

"Miss Black, are you ready to begin."

I nod, closing my hands in front of me on the table.

"Who has a question for Martha?" I follow the head's finger as she points to an interviewer.

"Good evening Martha, how are you?"

I smile, "I'm doing just fine, thanks for asking."

"How does it feel, knowing that this coming Monday, you will officially be the Number Five in the World?"

"It feels amazing, I've been working my whole life for this, and now that I've broken this goal, I hope to break a few more in the future."

Another interviewer stands up, "Miss Black, you are familiar with your nickname the Black Plague, because you defeat your opponents silently and when they are vulnerable, how do you keep grounded on court? The world notices how expressionless you play most games, a rare skill to have in the tennis world."

I lean closer to the microphone, "As tennis players, we all handle our emotions, our frustrations differently. I try really hard to keep myself level-headed. I'm sure if you google my first-ever pro-level game, you'll see a much different story."

The room filled with laughter, and I knew I was working them. I worked every press conference that was held.

"Do you think you might ever lose your temper in a match again?" Another interviewer asked.

I shrugged, "That is something we will just have to wait and see. I work on a strict schedule and I really try my hardest to control my frustration, so for my sake, I hope that day doesn't come."

"Martha, earlier this afternoon, the US Open released a fun little video of players talking about the nicest players on tour. You, along with Thiem, were named the kindest players by your peers, how does that make you feel?"

"Like I said, I like keeping myself level-headed and being a friendly face on the court. Something I learned watching Thiem. He's been a really excellent mentor to me and reminding me why I'm here on tour. I love tennis and I enjoy playing the game. I will do everything in my being to have fun."

A lot of camera flashes went off the and I smiled, this new era of Martha Black unraveling.

___________________________________________________________________________

A Few Months Later

I was panting, I looked across the court to see my parents' eyes burning into me.