I knew I was in deep trouble

The next few days went by as quickly as they came. Andrey and I woke up each day for yoga and breakfast, before our first training session. After lunch, we'd have our second training session, and then media and PR at night. 

With the tournament starting just nine days away, I was nervous about playing doubles. Our training practices were slowly getting better, but I still didn't have the effortless touch Andrey had. The only thing making the most progress was my anger, but I knew it wasn't from my own conscience telling me to stay calm, instead it was Andrey. 

I had seen and heard his gentle side from a distance. The past two nights on the balcony he would be on the phone with his sister. I, of course, didn't know what they were talking about in Russian, but through clouds of laughter and a soft voice, I could see the way Andrey loved his family and truly was kind, even if that same grace always wasn't extended to me. But, I knew the effort was there. Since we promised to no longer fight, we only have had two small indifferences, mostly about food. 

_________________________________

I rolled over in my bed and set my alarm for our morning yoga, when my phone chimed. 

What do you think our doubles name will be? I'm thinking Black Rubble. I smiled at the message and clicked on his number to officially save his contact. 

I'm thinking Mars and the dude I sent, laughing to myself before double texting him, Black Rubble is perfect lol. Lets hope I can actually help us win. 

I watched the three little dots pop up for a while as I waited for him to reply. It felt kind of silly texting Andrey, knowing he was only a room away. I noted how right before bed, this happened to be the thought on his mind. 

My phone chimed and I read, You can just sit on the bench if you'd like, I'm sure I can handle the court myself :) 

Oh yeah? I'm purposely going to make us lose then. My eyes kept flicking to the smiley face, but I tried to push my thoughts away. I was 25 after all, I wasn't like developing a school-girl crush on him was I?

Whatever Mars :) Goodnight.

I thought about replying, but put the phone down before I did something dumb. Instead, I opened up Instagram and typed in his very name. I knew I needed to go to bed, but after wasting an hour on his page, I knew I was in deep trouble. 

_________________________________

"Andrey you need to open your hips," I said sitting on the yoga mat. The sun was just peaking through the window and casting a shadow across Andrey's face as he sat in front of me. 

"They are open?" 

I shook my head, demonstrating the difference, "See how when I move forwards, I move my weight onto the heels of my butt?"

He tilted his head, squinting his eyes, "I am doing exactly what you said." I watched his body surge forward, but his hips flexors were not stretching and putting his weight on the right part of his body. 

"Hold on, let me grab you a rug to put underneath you." I folded the rug a few times and motioned for him to scoot over. Placing it on his mat, I told him to sit on the edge of it. "Okay, put your feet together for the butterfly stretch, but keep your spine straight."

Even with the rug, Rublev's body was just about as stubborn as himself, so instinctively, I leaned forward and grabbed his hips, guiding his weight forward. I remember Maria doing the same thing with me to adjust me in the right position. "No no, feet still together." After a moment, he was finally sitting on the heels of his butt, in the correct form. I blew out air, "See?"