We're Not Friends

(Author Note: As I write Rublev dialogue, I am trying very hard to make it sound like him. As we know, our sweet Rublev leaves a lot of english words out when he speaks or occasionally will use the wrong tense. I try to reflect that in a few of his lines so if you catch yourself being like, "why is this author having so many errors," it's because I want you all to be able to hear Rublev's voice rather than giving him a weird perfect voice.)

______________________________

Around 7AM, I was awake and getting myself ready for the day. We were expected to be in the lobby at 7:30 for breakfast before training and going over our PR schedule.

When I walked out of my room, I noticed Rublev sitting at the kitchen counter, still in, what I believe, were his pajamas. Never looking up from his phone, he said, "Morning."

"What are you doing?" I insisted, listening to him take a sip of his juice.

He finally looked up, "What?"

"We have to be downstairs in a few minutes for breakfast and you look far from ready."

He looked up from his phone, looking me up and down before standing up, a smile on his face, "If we are going to have to live here for the next month, I'd probably just worry about myself, hmmm?"

I pinched my lips, shaking my head, "Well I kind of don't want to break the terms we both signed, so I don't know, I feel like I have a right to worry, hmmm? Unfortunately, your mommy can't be here to lay out your clothes and make sure you brush your teeth."

"I guess we'll just see what happens then," he replied, not moving. 

As he finished the sentence, there was a knock on our door and his coach came through the entrance. Naturally, Vicente put his hands on his hips, "Andrey, you're not ready."

Looking over to him, I raised my eyebrow and smirked, as if I was saying, "I told you so."

Quickly, Rublev disappeared into his room and shut his door a little too hard. Vicente dragged his hand over his face, sighing, "I hope he isn't causing you too much trouble already."

I shrugged, "Only time will tell," pointing to my watch, "It's only 7AM and we've already gotten ourselves into a fight."

"He's a good kid, I hope you know that. He just needs a little extra push. He'll come around, I'm sure of it."

I nod, his door opening up and his bag over his shoulder, "Well I'm ready now."

_______________________________

Breakfast was uneventful as our coaches, Venus, and Andy spoke the whole time. Rublev and I simply listened. I loved Venus and Andy, but they often got distracted, so I spent the majority of the time zoned out.

Andrey could have cared less too. I had never eaten with Andrey before, but it didn't surprise me how proper he ate. There was a gentleness he used while eating. I watched as he held his banana and slowly cut it into slivers with his knife, different from the quickness you see on court. 

I must have been quite bored, because I was mesmerized by the way the knife came right to his thumb, but didn't cut it. 

"Martha," I hear Andrey mumble without looking up. 

"Hmmm?"

"You're staring," his eyes flicked to mine before they returned to the banana. I gulped, picking up my glass of apple juice, shrugging. 

"I zoned out."

"If that's what you call it," he said, "I do not mind. I know you like my hands."