005 | Cami

I loved computers. They were realistic and reliable, unlike people. People sugar-coat things, unlike computers, which always give you cold hard truth. The only reasons computers crashed is because the human who programmed it messed up.

That's how I knew that a computer hadn't chosen me to be in The Race. Some idiot who didn't do enough research chose me. I was still in college, I had a job, and I was so close to graduation.

Being smart isn't a good thing with things like The Race around.

I looked at my wristwatch. We would arrive in less than thirty minutes. Honestly, I'm already tired of riding in trains. I knew it was a stupid idea from the moment Harper said it. Not that I disliked her. I just disliked her idea.

"Once we get there we just have to hike a bit and we'll be in Istanbul," I said, my finger running along the map.

"I'm tired," Maybelle said. "Sleeping on a train was a terrible idea. The entire idea was terrible."

"Would you drop it?" Naomi asked with an eye roll. "No one cares."

I rolled my eyes. Naomi was such a diva. I mean, I agreed that Maybelle could stop bringing it up, but Naomi didn't have to be so stuck up about it.

"Calm down," Lark said. "Please."

"Is Naomi capable of calming down?" Harper asked with a snicker. She had been making many sarcastic comments over the weeks, not that I minded. Sometimes, they made me laugh.

"I can get loose," Naomi snapped. "Wait until we get to the party."

"Are you sure we'll go to a party?" Maybelle asked.

"Of course we will," Naomi said. "Eighty percent of the time, there is a party for one of the teams. The clue is usually hidden with a certain person, but everyone usually creates a lot of drama and stuff. It's really good for TV."

"I remember one year when the party was in Spain. A news station sponsored it. Everyone had to watch that channel to get all the information," Aralee said. "Either that or pay for the digital newspaper."

"We waited until the end of The Race," Harper said. "Everyone gets to watch the best part free."

The "best part" was when the teams competed for the final item, usually a few contests got injured or died. It was great TV... to watch, not be in. But those were the only parts recorded, usually. Otherwise the two teams would always know each others location.

"Well now we get a front row seat," I muttered.

Harper laughed. "Cami, you're not wrong."

Laughter, like they say, is infectious. Soon, our entire group was giggling, even Naomi and Maybelle. We were so loud that the people around us started to shush us.

"Wait... isn't that the girls team?" a teenage boy asked.

The girl beside him rolled her eyes. "I have no idea what you're talking about, babe. Be more specific."

"They're from The Race!" he exclaimed. "The news would pay for a quick pic..."

"Girls..." I said. "We should get moving."

"We're on a train," Maybelle said, ice in her voice.

"Yeah, yeah, I know, but that boy is about to take a photo... That wouldn't be good," I said.

"Why?" Naomi asked. "Unlike you, I have style. Let the camera click!"

"The boys will know how we're doing without us knowing how they're doing. I don't think we should draw attention to ourselves," I said.

"What would we even do if we wanted to leave?" Harper asked.

"Look down, grab your bags, and walk to the front of the train. Sunglasses on," I instructed. After a moment, everyone followed, some more reluctantly than others. We left right as the boy found his camera.

I opened the train door. "Climb up the ladder quickly," I said.

"No way, that's dangerous," Maybelle said. Everyone nodded in agreement.

"You're right... but then what do we do?"

"We can go back in-" Aralee started.

"No," Maybelle said, shaking her head. "They will be extra suspicious of us. Plus, they'll definitely take photos."

"Then let's climb," Lark said. "We can do this. We all stayed balanced on the small beam. We should be fine."

"Okay," Harper said. "Let's just get on top of the train! We should be fine!"

"We will," I said, "if we're smart. And we're smart, aren't we?"

"Yeah," Aralee cheered. "We can do this guys! We just need to believe in ourselves! Teamwork makes the dream-"

"Okay, that's enough," Naomi said. "Let's just get this over with-"

A soft click made Naomi stop talking. It was the teenage boy, smiling obnoxiously.

"Thanks gals-"

But before he could finish his speech, Harper punched him in the head, knocking him out. She grabbed his phone and handed it to me.

"Unlock it and delete the photo," Harper said.

I smirked, still holding the door open. "I have a better idea." I tossed the camera out of the train. It was crushed a moment later.

"Let's get out of here before we stop," Lark said. I nodded. All of our crimes would be excused after The Race, but we could still get in trouble during it.

"Put on your black suits," I said. "They work kinda like armour and jumping off won't hurt as much."

"Okay, sure," Harper said sarcastically. "That's super safe."

"Just do it," I said, digging into my bag. I pulled out the suit, finding that the rest of the girls had also got theirs.

"Change quickly," I said, slipping off my casual clothes. Soon, I was in my slightly uncomfortable bodysuit.

"Just jump and roll," Lark said calmly.

"How are you calm about this?" Harper asked. "I'm trying my best not to flip out."

"We'll be fine," Lark said with a smile. Right after, she jumped off, rolling into the dirt. I followed after, praying that I wouldn't crack my skull open.

At first, the ground didn't touch my head, but my head quickly made contact on the second roll. I sat up and grabbed my head, hands tangling my hair. "Well that wasn't my best idea."