Chapter 1

Mai's POV
When I was walking to work, I looked at my phone and saw I was late for work. I started to run to the SPR building and stopped at the front door to catch my breath. My breathing went to normal I walked into the building. I hear voices behind the door and knowing Naru it was a possible Client. I opened the door as quietly as I could and saw someone I wouldn't have thought I would see again. It was my old friend Michael Afton. He was talking to Naru in a frantic voice and looked like he was about to cry. It hurt me to see him like that. When I close the office door it makes a click sound and everyone in the room turns their head to look at me. When I look at Michael his eyes widen a little and stares at me in awe. Lin and Naru quickly turn away when they see that it was just me. When it was just Michael and me staring at each other I put my index finger over my mouth to signal him to act like we are strangers, when he nodded his head sadly he told me he understood what I was trying to signal to him. Michael proceeds to tell Naru what was happening to him. I put my bag in my office and proceeded to walk to the small kitchen in the office. I start boiling the water for Naru's tea. When I hear the whistle of the teapot I take it off the stove and mix the water and tea leaves into four cups. I walk into the living area of the office to give Michael, Lin, and Naru their tea. Handing out all the teacups I retreat to my office before Naru can make a snarky comment. I hear a door shut and to my guess, I assume that it was Michael leaving the office. The door shut all I heard was "Mr.Afton I accept your case" which made me start to have a pit build-up in my stomach. Then my office door opens and Naru says "Mai call the rest of the team and tell them we have a case in three days," all I could do at that moment is nod my head.