twelve

"you alright bud?" i said, leaning over cooper while placing a firm hand on the middle of his back.

"10/10." he replied lazily. as if to prove this, he started to rise from the tiled floor, standing with a wobble as his mind adjusted to the sudden change. holding him slightly, i made sure he wouldn't fall.

"woah, careful."

"don't you worry about me mister." cooper said with slurred speech, bringing his index finger to my nose and touching it before attempting to move towards the door. i recoiled from his touch but couldn't help but smile at his idiotic state. i was forced to let go and watched cautiously as he held onto objects around him, uneven steps bringing him back to the party outside.

"should we help him?" luna said, standing next to me with concern.

i sighed, "no point now." we had done plenty, more than he would have ever done for me. i guess it made us even.

i turned to face her, taken back by her closeness as i had so many times before. from outside, we could hear cooper yell "i'm back!" into the crowd, which received an applause of claps and cheers. we both laughed, the situation finally hitting us with its absurdity.

dragging my hand across my face, i apologised, "i'm am so sorry, you don't know how many times i've had to do that."

luna chuckled, taking my hand in hers and moving it from my face, holding it between us. the intimacy made me buzz with silly excitement. "it's fine, don't worry about it."

we paused for a moment, looking at each other before a large crash was heard from the other side of the closed door, breaking the silence and filling us with more tired giggles. luna gestured towards it with her head. "want to join them?"

usually when someone would have asked me something like this, i would say no, leave everyone behind and never look back. i wished i could have done it earlier.

but tonight was different. i had her.

all i could think to say was, "absolutely."

she smiled, moving closer and stood up on her toes to plant a kiss on my cheek, the act leaving me buzzing yet calm. i placed my free hand on my cheek and teasingly looked at her like a love-struck school girl. she rolled her eyes and i let her drag me from the bathroom and into the dark, crowded room in front of us.

leaving the brightness behind left our eyes blinded for a few moments, moving through silhouettes by pushing our way through with outstretched arms. but soon they adjusted and revealed a colourful space filled with strangers and friends alike.

my usual deterioration associated with being here was replaced with eased excitement, the alcohol and this girl making me feel like i could do anything, that i wanted to do something. letting luna take me through the crowd, i caught her looking back at me, eyes bright and smile wide.

we eventually found a space near the living room i once was, the memory seeming so distant in my foggy mind. luna let go of my hand and all i could do was watch her, in her beautiful state. she was with me, no one else. the idea made my knees melt.

we danced, ignoring the eyes of others and made a fool of ourselves with our horrible moves as music filled our ears.

we laughed, every time we would bump into someone or each other, making jokes and smiling, acting like we were the only people in the room.

we kissed, the atmosphere taking us as we pleased, the perhaps overdue kisses passionate as we both let the music, the lights, the moment, take us over.

it had been a long time since i had felt this good, this happy, this infatuated with a moment in time. i wanted it to last forever.