Twenty-Four: Darkness Has Arrived

My nerves are all haywire as the elegant woman, sitting at the head of the table, looked expressionless while taking a sip of her coffee. I tried to focus on my reflection on the calm surface of my drink, hoping a wormhole would open and suck me right in, taking me to a different dimension.

As soon as I heard her teacup hit the elegant saucer, placing it on top of it, she looked at me in the eyes, her eyes remaining passive as ever. I tried to shake my nerves off and just tried to act normally as I would.

"Reidyr, is it?" She spoke.

Her tone was nonchalant which made it even more frustrating to read what's on her mind. I could hear the three children of hers, conversing loudly from the upstairs bedroom.

"Yes ma'am." I replied.

Her eyes went from the ceiling to mine once more. "How long have you known my son?" It was an easy question, but throat seems to try so hard to cooperate.

"About, three months now? I really don't know how long ma'am, but it's been recent if you would." She paused. There's something in her eyes that just feels different. It's like it's piercing right through me.

She was even elegant up close. I could see where Mia and Amanda got their looks from. "How long have you been seeing him?"

I tried to look for the exact time how long we have been together, but being with his son, well, it's quite difficult to know how to answer her question. "I'm not exactly sure ma'am." I answered truthfully.

Her eyes went to the oversized window at the end of the room, looking out to the horizon. "Do you love him?" She asked without looking at me. It was quiet for a moment. I followed her gaze and spoke.

"Yes." The conviction in my voice was palpable.

Another silence came and I felt something warm placed on top of my hands. My heart quickened. Her elegant hand was placed on top of mine.

"That's all I needed to know." For the first time, she smiled at me beautifully. It felt as if an elephant's foot got off of my chest and I started shaking a little, releasing every last nerve I have in my body.

I gave her a smile and I didn't realize my vision started to blur until a traitor tear escaped my eye. She brushed it off with the back of her hand.

"Don't cry." Her voice was gentle as the summer breeze.

"I'm sorry." I wiped the tears that threaten to fall on my face. I shook my head and cleared my throat, trying to regain my composure.

"I love him, truly." She placed a palm on my cheek.

"That is all I ever ask my boy. Killian can be difficult, but I assure you, he doesn't have a bad bone in his body. I'm sure you know that." I nodded and she smiled even more.

"Thank you, for staying with him. I know it's difficult and it will only get difficult from here on out. Just know, I am with you both, every step of the way."

The next thing just delivered a different shock in my body. She wrapped her hands around mine and I pulled her even closer to my body.

"Thank you, ma'am,"

"You can call me Elena," she said as we broke our hug.

"Or mom since you're pretty much stuck with my son." My heart just swelled with gratitude.

"Okay...mom..." She let out a soft laugh.

"So, tell me, what did that boy do to you when you met?" I laughed.

"Well, it all began when he drowned..."

So, I started telling her my journey with Killian, how we met, when we broke up, things we did together and whatnot. Elena's face flashed so many emotions.