Chapter one | 1944

The sun shone on the white tops of the mountain right in front of them. Today marked the 8th day the troops were in the Alps. The Howling Commando's stood up earlier this morning to go over the last details of their plans for this afternoon. Half an hour later Captain Rogers opened his tent and joined the group who were gathered around the strategy map. "Good morning." Steve said in a deep voice. "Morning Cap, everything is set and ready to go. We just need to wait for- '' and at that very second the zip of Steve's tent went open again.

"Captain." Steve turned around and there stood their last team member. He nodded with a shy smile. "Agent Carter." His eyes glanced over every inch of her body. She did her hair like no one else could, her uniform fitted perfectly around her waist. Her lips were bright red, even though it was forbidden to wear any kind of bright colours in the army. "I thought you wanted to sit this one out?" Peggy shook her head slightly. "You know you need me. You've failed in catching this man twice already. It's a waste of time and it can't keep repeating, I'm coming." She placed her hand on his lower stomach and led her head on Steve's torso. Peggy could feel his heart beating a little faster now she was present.

"Anyways," Steve said while his arms surrounded Peggy. It was no surprise to anyone in the 107th that they had a thing going on, they had suspected Colonel Philips knew about it but he never brought up the subject. "We'll be going in pairs of two, Peggy's orders. We cannot risk big groups. Bucky is with Pinkerton, you keep on top of the train. Dugan and Sawyer, you take the first part of the train, try to blend in. Me and Peg will investigate the back of the train. Remember, we won't be alone. There will be a fight and we need to be prepared for it." He looked down at Peggy, she looked back up. "Look at you taking charge and still using my orders." She laughed and placed a hand on his cheekbone. He leaned in and a deep, passionate kiss was shared.

Nowadays they got used to hearing the whistles and childish mocking from the rest of the group, it did nothing to them. When their lips parted Peggy looked up at Steve, staring in his blue eyes, whispering softly that she loved him. Steve refrained. They had never said the L-word before, they had been seeing each other for just 2 months. That's too early to tell someone you actually loved someone, so he thought. All he did was nod with a shy smile. He turned back to the group, "Any questions?" "Will we all be invited to your wedding?" Pinkerton laughed as did the rest of the group. Steve rolled his eyes and ignored the question as did Peggy. "If there's nothing else, we should get ready to leave." She said and the laughing stopped. They respected her.

The group parted and only Steve and Peggy were left at the center of the base. She looked up at him, noticing something she'd hardly ever seen in his eyes before. "What is it?" She asked, she cupped his cheek and stared at him kindly. "You're worried, I can read you. Is it about the mission? You've done this before only this time, we'll be going 100 miles an hour." She smiled. "No, it's not that." Steve replied. "I'm worried about you." Peggy laughed in response. "Don't, nothing will happen to me." Before Steve could reply, she silenced him with a soft and gentle kiss, which deepened as she leaned against him. "You know we still have 20 minutes before we have to leave," She pulled his tie towards her and he automatically followed. She stepped back until her back met a wall. "and there's a lot we can do in 20 minutes." She smirked but Steve still had the same expression on his face. "Oh don't keep moaning about that. I'm with you till the end. I promise." He placed his hands on her back and pulled her close. "I-" he couldn't say it, he couldn't say he loved her. Peggy had her arms around his neck and her brown eyes stared at him. "I... still have a few things that have to be done before we can leave. I'm sorry Peg." He sighed, cursing himself for not spending this time with Peggy. He gave her a quick kiss on her lips and let go of her.