Chapter three | catch me

The Hydra soldier Steve and Peggy were fighting didn't had the situation under control and Steve saw his change to take him down. One shot in the chest was enough. He checked his pulse, there was none. "Alright let's get Zola, are you ready Peg?" He got no answer. "Peggy?!" Steve looked around but she wasn't in the compartment, he checked through the window but she wasn't in the other compartment as well. He looked over his shoulder and thought the worst had happened. Quick but carefully Steve moved to the side of the train and his worst fear came true. Peggy held on for dear life on the railing, hanging outside the train, 600 feet above the ground. She pulled herself up but she was out of reach to get on board herself. Steve got his shield in one hand and held onto the railing with his other hand. "Peggy, grab the shield!" Steve reached out the shield as far as he could. Peggy pulled herself up, trying to get every inch closer to grabbing the shield. She closed her eyes, she couldn't watch Steve in his eyes. She didn't want him to see how afraid she was.

"Peggy, you have to trust me, I'll get you!" "Promise you'll catch me?" "I promise, grab the shield!" He stretched out his shield and this time Peggy managed to take a hold on it. Steve pulled her inside, away from the danger. They sat on the ground together, Peggy was curled up against Steve, her insecurity was showing. She rested her head on his chest. "I thought I'd lost you." He whispered and tightened his hug. Peggy didn't say a thing, she took in deep breaths, trying to calm down her heartbeat. "It's okay, Peg. It's okay..." Steve's voice was calm and safe. "Please sit this one out, I beg you. I cannot lose you." Peggy nodded. "Alright." She looked up to him. "I'll join Dugan and Sawyer. Please be careful, alright?" They both smiled and just for a moment life seemed perfect.

Peggy stood up and went to open the door. She turned around to look at Steve one last time. "I'll see you in a minute." Her angsty smile turned into a real one and she pressed the button to open the door. Peggy turned around to catch one last glimpse of Steve. She smiled but got shot in the back from behind by surprise coming from the other compartment. It was Hydra. "Peggy!" Steve yelled but it was too late. Peggy collapsed on the floor, she didn't move at all. He stood up angrily and fought with the man that had shot his girlfriend. Steve did everything he could to take out the Hydra soldier. He almost had him but when he wanted to shoot him, the man grabbed Peggy's unconscious body. "If you kill me, she'll die." He threatened. Steve had his gun aimed at the man but he used Peggy as his human shield which refrained Steve from shooting. The man moved slowly through the compartment, getting closer to the hole. Steve's anger turned into worry. He had no idea what the man was planning to do. He had to take the shot in order to save Peggy. "Get away from the hole. You are under arrest in name of the SSR. Let her go and you shall be unharmed." Steve ordered. But the man only smirked. The man let go of Peggy and threw her off the train. Within seconds Steve shot the man and ran as quickly as he could to the hole. He could see Peggy getting smaller in his vision. She was gone.