23 - Feels

We all sat in stunned silence.

"Tine, is your offer still open?" whispered Fong.

"Teepakorn, marry me" whispered Wat.

"Why are we whispering?" whispered Ren.

"I don't know but it's fun" I whispered.

"I can't hear anyone" whispered Pear.

I looked at the passbook again, at the amounts this time, checked the currency, counted the zeros.

As of current date, the Aekaranwongs were in possession, at least notionally, of a little over 6 Million greenbacks.

"Okay, so that's two million for Ren, two million for Pear and Khaotung automatically gets half of everything I own except Wat, so that's one million each for him and me" I said, counting on my fingers.

"Tine, you're crazy" hissed Fong.

Ren frowned at me. "That's really not fair, Tine.
Sorry Fong, you're absolutely right. It's one and a half million each for the four of us."

"That's not what I..." began Fong before Pear shushed him.

"Wat, you have your own money, you don't need ours. Don't take it personally" said Ren, the distributor of funds.

"I'm not even slightly offended. My boyfriend's a millionaire" said Wat, leaning back happily on the couch.

"Okay, this is all way too bizarre for me" I said, holding my head in my hands. The room seemed to spin around me.

"I don't have any idea how anyone could spend that much money. What do we even do with this?" wondered Pear, genuinely concerned with the sudden over-availability of currency.

"What do rich people use all their money for, Wat?" asked Ren, drawn into this line of thought.

We all peered with curious interest at Wat, who shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"I don't know - houses and cars and stuff" he said, gulping dryly.

I snorted.

"That is so lame. None of us drive, and Fong bought his car just last year.

We already have this apartment and even this is a pain to maintain, so why would we want one more.

Guntithanon, for someone who claims to have experience in this area, you suck at being rich" I said.

"Sorry, I didn't know I had to come prepared with a 20-page plan on how to spend millions of dollars"

"I thought I told you to emulate the Boy Scouts"

"That was for a completely different problem statement for which I am always, always prepared"

Ren cleared his throat loudly.

"I vote that until we figure out what to do with the money, we let it stay as it is and keep this news to ourselves.

We will only withdraw the funds that Fong needs to pay off his loans with immediate effect.

All who agree say Aye" he said raising his hand.

"Aye" said Pear and I together.

Fong looked at each of us, his mouth half open.

"Listen, I am touched by your generosity and you guys are my family, but I can't take your money.

And honestly, it's an inconvenience for me, really.

I'm going to be earning a lot in a few years from now and I need the student loan for tax benefits" said Fong, trying to sound like he understood taxation.