003 | coffee jelly

chapter three : coffee jelly !

"do you enjoy
ruining my life?"

y/n wanted to laugh but the pink-haired teen sat in front of them seemed dead serious. in fact, saiki kusuo simply looked dead. limited facial expressions and deadpan delivery... how could y/n be sure he was even joking?

well, they could read his mind of course.

"don't you dare." saiki spoke wordlessly. "what was that for?"

y/n shrugged their shoulders innocently. saiki glared at them.

he continued. "why would you lie to teruhashi about me?" he stated as if it were obvious. "now she's going to increase her efforts in trying to be close to me."

"damn," y/n said. "sucks to be you, i guess."

y/n rolled their eyes and gathered another spoonful of their coffee jelly dessert. they didn't fail to recognise the way their classmate's eyes softened at the sweet sight, his eyes focused on the treat as it entered y/n's mouth.

l/n chuckled and pulled the metal utensil out of their mouth with a 'pop'.

saiki's mind was uncharacteristically swirling and curiously, y/n decided to pry into it. their attempt was however swiftly halted by a kick to the shin under the table.

"if we're going to get along, we need to set some rules."

y/n hummed in weak agreement. "okay, sure."

pointing to the half eaten treat in front of them, they continued. "would you like some?" y/n asked with a smirk. "you look like you're a second away from fuc-"

"i'll get another spoon." saiki's mumble interrupted y/n's inappropriate claim and, quietly, he got up from his seat.

this was the second time saiki had physically spoken to y/n; perhaps he saved his words for special occasions. the café was quite empty, it was quiet.

saiki was back as quickly as he left and immediately his spoon was inside y/n's dessert.

y/n rolled their eyes. "sure, just take the whole thing." they said humourlessly.

the teen paused before looking up at y/n, his eyes meeting theirs with an artificial smile. then, he scooped up a generous amount with his spoon and placed it in his mouth, his eyes closing in confectionery bliss.

'so, he can show emotions, huh? that's... kind of adorable...' y/n thought to themselves.

when one of his eyes opened and his eyebrow rose, y/n knew he had heard what they had thought. they played it off with a shrug.

"shut up."

"i didn't say anything."

y/n didn't know if they should've cowered or melted at the small smirk kusuo sent their way. they rolled their eyes.

"whatever," they said aloud. "rule number one: no reading each other's minds."

their classmate put the spoon down and crossed his arms leaning back into the comfortable café seat. his smile remained. "what makes you think you're going to be making the rules?"

y/n leaned back also, unfazed by saiki's comment.

"alright," they said. "tell me what you were thinking when i was eating the coffee jelly-"

"fine, no reading each other's minds." saiki said. "rule number two: do not get me involved with teruhashi."

y/n winced and crossed their arms mirroring saiki's posture. "no can do, my pink-haired friend-"

"we're not friends."

"teruhashi is a nice girl," y/n continued as they ignored saiki's claim. "really nice, actually. she gave me a kiss on the cheek and we barely know each other-"

"she's like that sometimes."

l/n nodded and went to get another piece of the coffee jelly only to find it all eaten. they let their spoon clang onto the café table in despair.

"asshole..." they whispered.

saiki shrugged his shoulders and collected his things leaving y/n alone in the café without a word. it was probably for the best anyway; it was getting late and y/n was very close to murdering him where he sat.